UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Google Street View in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stewart

Am I the last one to know about "Google Street View" and how much fun it is....

Having Just signed up for "Google Places" I was surprised to see my house on the map in street view when the account went live. I've now spent the last two hours stalking
My competitors (sad I know, but fun)......... As good as it is, I don't think that some peeps have thought about this when advertising on this medium, especially the guy with
2 scrap cars in his garden! I guess I'm just saying we need to be more aware of how we advertise, as it could reflect badly against your business in this world of information
if not thought through properly.

U

user123

Ay, I've known it for a long time as both H's and my businesses are on Google maps. No such thing as privacy any more, and it's not just people advertising, put any address in and google view is likely to show the house and street.

There are not live, but photos taken whenever the google van passed, or the satellite image(!!) - install and look on google earth, you can travel round the world! and what is doesn't show is our estate's incredible amount of security cameras from almost every house, covering every angle of every property, the local reaction to fears over being visible on google plus, all computer buffs round here and a pretty close neighbourhood where everybody really does know everybody. (I can go into my neighbours house and they have a recording camera TV set-up and see myself, very clearly, washing the car the day before!! He is a bit over the top, but he can't look into our bedroom window...just at it, phew).

So those scrap cars may well be gone by now, and extensions built, or whatever. There has been a story of someone taking bookings for a holiday cottage no longer there, pulled down for some motorway rerouting, but it's still on google maps! It's a strange world. If you pay for google earth you get live satellite views. I remember the option when I down loaded it, so I'm talking three years back or so, it's probably still like that. Have a look at Las Vegas, in the daylight from above, god it looks dire, the contrast is incredible to the fireworks of light explosion at night. YOU can spend hours on there... but it's lovely, too, I can see the house and street in Australia where my son lives!

D

Deleted member 9966

From a business point of view, I had to check the Street View from round my employers buildings as we're on a main road, just to check that everything was where it should be and that employees hadn't been waving a one or two fingered salute if they noticed the Google car going by. I noticed my car in the car park too, but it's too far away on the picture to get any detail from it.

The Street View past my house is incredibly detailed and you can see right into the back garden as we're on a corner. Not very private. I did have to ask hubby why his car was on the drive during the day though..... it took us about 10 minutes to figure out that around that time he was working in Birmingham so was catching the train to work....

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Google Street View in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views
I thought I'd create a thread so we can link each other to the last thing we bought on eBay, so...
2 3
Replies
Views
anne_mutens
A
I've had a couple of messages about this who has read a thread option. And I'm starting to...
Replies
Views
C
:smile::smile::smile:hi pals, Cassie here again. Thanks for all the great advice you gave us. I...
Replies
Views
What the customer said: Sean: You do not have enough tiles to complete the job. Cust: Thank God...
2 3 4
Replies
Views
bcd-87
B

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.