UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss grouting nightmare in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mnemonix

Thanks Mike, that's helpful.
Porcelain tiles, which I'd applied a stain protector to would be very non-absorbent causing the joints to set slowly while the thin smear on the surface would still go off. And maybe the grey is just lighter than I'd prefer. I wish they'd make a proper mid-grey then as there's nothing between that and the charcoal/ebony end of the scale which is all but black. Maybe that dries lighter too though?

Still a bit miffed by the runny consistency at recommended ratios but at least I know now.

you might want to mix up the grout then wait ten minutes, check how stiff it is , it should be quite firm like butter, dont worry just mix it up again dont add anything and you will find that it will soften enough to press into the joints.
Try a technique to wash off I have used for many years....once grouted, sponge over the tiles making sure to get the joints nice and full and evenly smoothed off. Dont be too fussy about getting all the grout off the tiles. then get another bucket of clean water rip a towel in half dip the towel into the water and just run it through your hands to get most of the water out. Then grab two corners and drape the towel onto the tiles and slowly walk back dragging the towel over the tiles. you might have to experiment a couple of times to get the right moisture content in the towel. When you have you will have a strip of very clean freshly grouted tiles the width of half a towel. Then repeat a few sq.metres at a time. This technique will cut your washing time by 2/3s and you will get a better finish than a sponge.
Just make sure the grout is quite firm in the joints before sponging and washing off. :thumbsup:

Oh and the patches of light grout will have to be scratched out and grout the whole floor with the one batch of grout. Start the grout mix dry and firm and just add a little bit of water until its like toothpaste then wait and remix as per above.

Last edited:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to grouting nightmare in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hi any advice on what would go with what. I've layed off white tiles on floor with grey...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Our tiler has done a really amazing job with our kitchen flooring, but has used a...
Replies
Views
After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.