Guest viewing is limited

Discuss help !!!! quartz tiles lifting when uth switched on in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

basher

hi all need some advice,i layed about 50m2 of 600 by 600 quartz tiles last xmas with uth.the ut heating has recently been switched on and an area of about 2m2 has lifted into point in one area of the room.it was a concrete floor primed and layed a foam based insulation board which i hadnt used before with sf addy,then layed uth and tiled using sf addy (granfix) customers choice.tiles were polished quartz and layed with a 2mil grout line.i have taken 1 tile up and hardly any addy had stuck to it.can anyone recomend what to do next as i dont want to relay tiles for this to happen again thanks

D

DHTiling

mmmm are you a full time tiler.. just asking mate.. A tiler should know what a conglomerate composite tile is..

Ok.. white with flecks.. sounds like gulf stone..

Heat can affect them but also they should be fixed with a suitable adhesive for this type of tile or they will eventually debond..

You should not be using a water based mixed adhesive.. polyurethane 2 part adhesives are best..

Mapei do 2 suitable ones that i now of and they are.. Elastorapid or Granirapid..

Granirapid in an S1 2 part and Elastorapid is an S2 2 part...

water mixed adhesives can cause de-lamination on conglomerate stones.. as they don't stick to the resins and certain resin based conglomerates warp with moisture...

So what has happened here is when the UFH has been turned on.. the tiles have expanded with the ufh and popped straight of as the adhesive cannot hold them..:thumbsup:

hope that helps..

Reply to help !!!! quartz tiles lifting when uth switched on in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

B
Hi everyone, I am a new member of the forum and wonder if someone can give me some advice on the...
Replies
Views
Biddy
B
G
Hi guys ive done tiles only a few times and landed a job because im a perfectionist and will...
Replies
Views
TilerBhoy
T
I
I know it's long but please could anyone advise? I'm currently experiencing a problem with my...
Replies
Views
DHTiling
D
S
Hi, i have recently done the first 2 of 22 kitchen floors (flats). The area totals 8m2 per flat...
Replies
Views
Uheat
U
D
Hi all, I have a job to start on wed but have a few questions. Bathroom 450*450 porcelain wall...
Replies
Views
Smitten
S

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
help !!!! quartz tiles lifting when uth switched on
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.