UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Hi ya, i really need some help please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

flowerpot

I am sorry this is my first post but I feel quite gutted at the moment so please help.

We have tiled over tiles in my mom and dads kitchen, all was going really well until today the tops row of tiles have well just sort of fell off? We were removing the excess adhesive ready for grouting.

When we take the tile off the wall, the adhesive is on the wall and none really on the tile? I am scared now that none of them have stuck but I am pretty sure they have.

I have used non slip cerafix adhesive, we did use a water tile cutter so the tiles may have been wet when we put them up? in fact it was raining a bit
icon_sad.gif

Oh god please help, mom and dad will be coming home in week.

Does ready mixed adhesve take alot longer to dry? it has been since Friday.

What do i do? do i try and remove the next row down to see if they are lose too or leave them? they have been on a few days more than the top row.
<LINK REMOVED>

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
If the adhesive has stuck the wall and not the tile, and you say it was raining and you used a wet cutter, chances are the tiles were too wet.

I've not used the adhesive you used. But ready-mixed adhesive does need more time to 'go off' than a cement (bag) based one. It actually takes around 2 weeks to fully cure with most dispersion (ready mixed) adhesive brands, though grouting can be carried out in normal cases after 24 hours.

I'd leave the tiles another day. Any that have fell off or feel really loose, take off and re-fix.

If the adhesive has stuck to the wall okay, it proves it's not an issue with the existing tiles being dirty (or too dirty) thought it's always best to clean with sugar/soap and a good washing off to clear any grease from them. Just for future reference.

S

Scott

Hi and welcome.

The tubbed adhesive relies on water dispersion to set. With tiling on tiles there is no where for the moisture to go, hence it will take ages to dry. If the tiles were wet or dusty then the adhesive wont stick. Try moving some of the lower tiles and see if they are set.

Worst case will be take them off and clean off the adhesive with warm water and use a cement based adhesive and relay. Also did you do anything to the original tiles before laying the new ones?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Chin up. You may find that if you need to use a bit of elbow grease to get some off it may be better to leave them on, the adhesive should harden. So just remove the really loose ones and refix those and leave for a couple of days.

As said above, due to it being tile on tile with a dispersion adhesive the moisture can only escape through the new grout joints. So it will take a lot longer to set than tiling onto plasterboard for example.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Yeah white star is a tubbed adhesive. Opt for a cement-based adhesive, and a separate cement-based grout.

Don't mix too much at any one time as both can start going off in the bucket. If this does happen, don't add more water and assume that'll work because it wont. Once cement starts to cure you can't add more water. Though it might look okay again if you do, the chemical reaction already started when you added the first lot of water and adding more doesn't start the reaction again. If that makes sense. (Not had my 4th coffee of the day yet)

F

flowerpot

Yeah white star is a tubbed adhesive. Opt for a cement-based adhesive, and a separate cement-based grout.

Don't mix too much at any one time as both can start going off in the bucket. If this does happen, don't add more water and assume that'll work because it wont. Once cement starts to cure you can't add more water. Though it might look okay again if you do, the chemical reaction already started when you added the first lot of water and adding more doesn't start the reaction again. If that makes sense. (Not had my 4th coffee of the day yet)

Brilliant thank you, I am off to topps tiles after work, will BAL Mosiac fix be good enough? or Bal CTF3?

I do have BAL powdered grout :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I'd rather let the guys and gals who are tiling for a living advise you on the actual product. I don't tile now and haven't for years and I could be a bit out of date.

I think BAL Rapid Set (a small bag) is the one you need, but please wait for others to confirm or give the shop a quick call before you set off.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Don't worry. Leave the ones on now that are not coming off on their own. The adhesive still being gooey proves it's not fully set yet, which it will do in a day or two at the most. Re-fix ones that have come off, and grout the lot in one go 2 days before they're back.

I'm sure they'll be really pleased with what you've done for them. And I bet you've saved them a small fortune doing it yourself.

Reply to Hi ya, i really need some help please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi there, We have red quarry tiles in our indoor entrance hall and my wife would like to paint...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I'm really hoping you all can help as I am at my wits end. We have hired...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.