Discuss I predict a riot in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mikethetile

I dont know about predicting a riot but I could of predicted your reactions LOL

Im not condoning the destruction and looting nor am I exscusing their behavior but I do understand it, theres no point getting older if you dont get wiser and having seen all this before some of it ffirst hand Ive been having a giggle at the politicians response. and yes it is their fault this has happened and no they havent a clue how to deal with it which means it will kick off again at some point.

so what caused it

theres an assumption from the government that all parents will keep their kids from the age of 16 when they leave school to when they are 18 and can claim benefits. many parents wont or cant leaving youngsters without an income and all day every day to think up ways of getting some money...............think about that and see where it leads. no job, no benifits , no incentive to find work, nothing to do but hang about in gangs. it doesnt take much for enterprising gang leaders to organise crime for an income for themselves and the gang members. suddenly they have an income and a career which they will probably stay with for the rest of their lives, as I said I dont condone it but I do understand it

the answer is simple if the goverment has the balls to do it, we all went through school and left into work and that is the answer, close the borders to foreign workers untill we have full employment in this country. if kids dont find a job when leaving school put them on benefits on the understanding they attend college to learn skills they can offer an employer. if they dont attend cut their benefits

I know my views will probably be shot down but they are what I believe having been on the right to work protests in the 80s which ended in riots

U

user123

Closing the borders .. does that mean closing it from Brits going out to other countries, for a life they prefer, too? We are one planet and should have the right to go where we please, - even though saying that does not mean I agree with globalisation either, but the onus should be on giving Brits priority when it comes to jobs, but it also means they have to show they work just as hard, and that seems a bit of an issue, according to employers anyhow.

Re Nothing else to do - that is down to influence of schools and media, too, apart from football it's hardly trendy or encouraged any more for young people to play team sports, in many European countries that are no better off economically and often worse off, especially with regards to handouts, being in invlovled in the local sportscene, even making the tea or the mascot or looking after the kit or equipment being there on the first aid bench really is encouraged, all that needs to change here, that sense of self-worth encourged.
And Self employment and inventiveness, the old chestnut "become an employed wage slave for the rest of your life" doesn't work so well any more, does it, isn't that why many of you prefer working for yourself? What motivates you? The love of the job, pride in standing on your own to feet and providing for your families without being dependent on a boss and 9-5. That motivation, the reasons for it, that has to be nourished. And that's not really the government's job, the government's job should be to protect us from corporate rip-offs, protecting us from ever rising fuel and heating costs, keeping the housing market stable and accessible to young people, providing good affordable public transport and care for the elderly, that sort of thing. Wouldn't that be nice.

M

mikethetile

some 30 years ago the firm I worked for ran out of work here so sent us to work in germany for 6 months, the germans hated us being there when there were germans unemployed . there was two reasons we were there, first we were cheaper and were prepared to graft and second there was at that time a skill shortage in germany and they couldnt find labour for the sites that were booming at that time. sounds familiar except we are not booming. Germany set about correcting that situation and ensuring that german jobs went to germans, you can get work there but you need the corrrect paperwork in order to work and that isnt easy to get. most european countries are the same except the uk. we are one of the countries that would rather allow workers in than train our own from the thousands of school leavers looking for work every year.

O

One Day

"isn't that why many of you prefer working for yourself? What motivates you? The love of the job, pride in standing on your own to feet and providing for your families without being dependent on a boss and 9-5. That motivation, the reasons for it, that has to be nourished."

Great idea and I'm all for it (it's certainly why I work for myself) but it's a complete anathema to globalisation. The "idea" is we all work for Walmart eventually.
Think back just three generations. How many people were self-employed / had a trade / craft?
Now who is the UKs largest employer? The supermarkets. Then it's probably call centers and distribution hubs.

All part of a purpose. Not a plan - a purpose. Decided ages ago. Sole aim? Profit.

U

user123

Yes, I agree, Impish, and that's all wrong, and I don't like globalisation simply for the fact that it allows governments all over the world to pass the buck, blaming other countries and the interdependency for not looking after their own people properly. I never liked the Euro for that reason either. We can't fix any of that though. But parents, relatives and teachers, even the media, still have the chance to influence children, to think and not be like sheep. The unfairness in the kjustice system doesn't help either, those two kids just now who got 4 years in prison for inciting a riot on facebook without having done any damage anywhere whatsoever, but those guys involved in phone hacking scandals and expenses swindles get away with it, largely. Much can and has to change, but as individuals we can only work on an individual level.

M

mikethetile

I think 4 years imprisonment is fair for trying to incite violence and criminal damage, look at the lives that were lost and the serious injuries recieved by some. business can be rebuilt but homes were destroyed . people lost everything, one woman had to jump from her burning flat. 4 yrs for trying to copycat that is nothing

teachers are not allowed to discipline kids, parents have to be carefull . these days I could be imprisoned for clattering my eldest like I used to. but I kept the willfull b ugger in line and he would get a hiding now if I thought he had been involved in any of that and then turned over to the law for them to deal with. but Im pleased to say he knows right from wrong and would have got that lad with a broken jaw help not robbed him

Hague mentioned national service, I wouldnt go that far but theres plenty of ta centres , sports feilds etc and plenty of retired army officers who would be glad to run exercise ,games and teambuilding with these youngsters. it is down to the government to sort this out . kids leave school into a vacuum wheres nothing down for them, catch them before they get into thieving and drugdealing as a way of life and a means of income

Reply to I predict a riot in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I just set new porcelain 8 x 8 tile in my rear entryway (3 ft x 3 ft area). I love the results...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
I predict a riot
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.