Discuss Is this illegal? I cant work out if its OK to install or not. Boosing orange signal in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deleted member 1779

As a company owner its frustrating to have calls to a mobile phone drop out which happens a lot as I have very poor signal in the office.

One way to improve the situation is apparently to install a booster.

I found equipment on ebay and have followed the set up instructions with the goods.

Basically you aim the outdoor aerial at your local transmitter. You can find out where this is by looking it up on line.

I put mine right at the top of the chimney

73109_438199687013_617362013_5273004_5307926_n.jpg

You then run the wire straight down the wall and inside.

69190_438199717013_617362013_5273006_6535177_n.jpg

Here I ran the cable down the wall past the satellite dish. I drilled a hole in the brick and pushed through the cable.

66673_438199652013_617362013_5273002_2342819_n.jpg

Then mounted the indoor transmitter out of sight behind a wooden post but in range of the office. Its out of sight so that it doesnt look ugly. I will box in the cables at a later date.

40733_438199787013_617362013_5273017_3815880_n.jpg

The external aerial is now facing towards our closest transmitter. I achieved this by using an
old satellite dish mount. I had to unbolt the actual dish and also the section that pointed it to the sky and then turn it upside down so that it pointed down towards the transmitter.

Result of this half a day effort?

73262_438199887013_617362013_5273020_1809113_n.jpg

Five full bars on my iPhone. And its working a treat.

However I have had a bit of a wobble because I have read articles that say this is illegal?

My question is have I been smart and boosted a poor performing device. Or am I breaking any laws. Dont want to fall foul of anyone. But I have to say that the equipment is doing its job and I have not had a mobile call drop out. Well pleased with the results.

Re: Is this illegal? I cant work out if its OK to install or not. Boosing orange si

As a mobile broadband user ( posting now from my caravan ) I wouldn't be bothered about it breaking any T & C's, voda, who I'm with do a connect box which is a booster of sorts, you can buy various amounts and sorts of signal boosters, as for you transmitting, surely it's only between your box and your network, so couldn't affect anyone else ?

EDIT: what sort of signal strengtrh do you get when not connected to your wi-fi ? 3G, EDGE ???

Last edited:
O

Olz

Re: Is this illegal? I cant work out if its OK to install or not. Boosing orange si

You have to have a licence to transmit the signal, even when, like you, you are just picking it up and retransmitting it.

Found an extrace here from a UK site that sells these http://www.signalboostuk.com/static.asp?ButtonValue=legal, its in their disclaimer section.

In the UK the Mobile Network Operators are currently licenced for the frequencies used by GSM equipment. GSM apparatus such as mobile phone booster / repeater devices may only be installed and/or used under the authority of a licence issued to one of these operators and then it must be under their control. Anyone wishing to improve coverage in a particular area of the UK is advised to contact their Network Provider.

O

Olz

Heres a definative answer from the regulator Ofcom

Ofcom | Mobile phone jammers and cellular enhancers

Jammers are devices which are intended to prevent radio equipment from receiving and transmitting the signals relevant to their function. Use of such devices therefore constitutes the specific offence of causing interference.
Legality of wireless telegraphy equipment

Section 8 of the 2006 Act forbids the installation or use of wireless telegraphy equipment (radio) in the UK mainland Northern Ireland and territorial waters, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands, unless an appropriate licence has been obtained from Ofcom, or there are Regulations in force exempting it from the licensing requirements.
Licences are usually granted subject to terms, provisions and limitations, which must be complied with. These may include:

1. use only on a certain frequency;
  2. use only with a certain power and certain level of emission;
  3. use must not cause undue interference;
  4. use only within a certain geographical area;
  5. use only of apparatus which meets specified requirements; and
  6. access for inspection by Ofcom staff and close down in the event of interference being caused.
Deliberate Interference

The use of any apparatus, whether or not wireless telegraphy apparatus, for the purpose of interfering with any wireless telegraphy, is an offence under the Wireless Telegraphy Act 2006. It is an indictable offence that on conviction in Crown Court carries a maximum penalty of two years imprisonment and/or an unlimited fine. The courts can also order forfeit of any apparatus used in the commission of the offence.
Jammers

Jammers are devices which are intended to prevent radio equipment from receiving and transmitting the signals relevant to their function. Use of such devices therefore constitutes the specific offence of causing deliberate interference. Many radio applications can be the target of such devices, including TETRA communications systems, 2.4GHz radio Local Area Networks and GPS systems, but the most common targets are mobile phones. By transmitting signals on the frequencies at which GSM and UMTS operations are conducted, mobile phone jammers make it impossible for a handset located within their range of action to make or receive calls and messages.
Often targeted for use in such areas as theatres, cinemas, examination halls and libraries where the use of mobile phones can prove annoying, jammers are likely to affect wider areas and other frequencies than those they are intended for. They can also result in the disruption of emergency and rescue radio services in the public area.
Jammers are also subject to the Electromagnetic Compatibility Directive (EMC) Directive EC89/336 as amended, which has been implemented into UK law by the Electromagnetic Compatibility Regulations 2006 (Sl 2006/3418). These regulations specify that all electrical and electronic apparatus placed on the market or taken into service in the UK, including imports, satisfy specific requirements to ensure that they do not cause excessive electromagnetic interference or are adversely affected by it and have to carry the CE mark to show compliance. The European Commission supports Members States’ views that since jammers by their nature cause significant electromagnetic interference it is likely that most do not comply with the UK regulations and therefore they cannot be legally placed on the UK market. The maximum penalty for supplying non-compliant equipment under the regulations is a fine of up to £5,000. The courts can order forfeiture of stocks of equipment. Ofcom will take appropriate enforcement action, including prosecution, to enforce the above legal provisions.
Alternatives to jammers

It is understandable that the owners of theatres, cinemas, concert halls, restaurants etc may want to restrict the use of mobile phones within their premises but jamming is an inappropriate means of achieving this. The alternative, legal way to do this is by education and publicity in informing users to keep mobile phones switched off when requested to do so. This may be assisted by the use of cellphone detectors at entrances that, without transmitting any interfering signal, give visible and/or audible warnings if an active device is nearby.
Cellular enhancers / boosters / repeaters

In the UK the use of any radio transmitting device is required to be either licensed or specifically exempted from licensing under the Wireless Telegraphy Act 2006 (WT Act 2006). For mobile telephones, the use of the spectrum by the network operators is licensed to cover the use of transmitters and repeaters, while user devices (i.e. handsets) are covered by a general exemption.
Repeater devices transmit or re-transmit in the cellular frequency bands. Only the mobile network operators are licensed to use equipment that transmits in these bands. Installation or use of repeater devices by anyone without a licence is a criminal offence under Section 8 of the WT Act 2006. Any person found guilty of installing or using such devices without a licence would be liable on conviction to a fine of up to £5000 and/or up to 51 weeks’ imprisonment (Six months in Scotland and Northern Ireland)
Anyone wishing to improve coverage in a particular area is advised to contact their network provider.

D

Deleted member 1779

I would guess the receiver part would be ok but you may need a license for the transmitter......

have just tried to call a friend to get info
, but no answer.

He runs a company that install radio masts for mobile companies.
Stuart was that a post related joke.....

Im a bit worried about the angle of your ladder!
I was a bit worried when I got up on the old roof with it !

D

Daz

I haven't researched your particular issue, but this seems to be very similar to "the use of radar speed trap detectors". These were considered illegal to use until it was proven that you could not interpret actual radio transmissions on the devices. I would guess that as long as you are unable to intercept / receive radio transmissions other than your own personal telephone transmissions / receptions then you have no issues.
As far as I understand, it only becomes illegal if you can intercept "confidential" radio transmissions. Something to do with an act that relates to war time wireless radio transmissions.

Reply to Is this illegal? I cant work out if its OK to install or not. Boosing orange signal in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views
We have had a tile tile a bathroom and an ensuite and are not happy with the overall finish of...
Replies
Views
We are currently getting our whole house refurbished. The standard of the work as been very high...
Replies
Views
It was his first day today. I found him on mybuilder. He wasn't the cheapest quote and I chose...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Is this illegal? I cant work out if its OK to install or not. Boosing orange signal
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.