Discuss Let's debate , Rubi or Sigma. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Sigma UK

Yeah your right. It will be the max or Klick Klock handle. I used to do those cuts at trade days on TS60+ as the pin comes up from underneath you can see the tile opening up as you put pressure on it. It follows the line and away you go. Too much pressure though and it will smash. The hardest one is trying to get a square from the top corner of a tile as it will always break at the weakest point. Worked a couple of times but no.

S

Sigma UK

That 50/50 test isn't really much of a test, and yet is the one I always see... What I would like to see, is a cutter taking 10mm off the edge of a full tile. Much more useful. ;)
Diggy, you can put a Rubi wheel into a wooden handle to scribe the curve free hand, rather than trying to scribe and turn the tile on the cutter.. I haven't tried it your way, but it looks more tricky. ;)

Someone on here has already put a video up of taking a strip off the side of a whole tile. Anyone remember who it was?.

I don't think there is a definitive answer all joking aside , I find both have +ve / -ve aspects.

I like the bed on the Rubi 700/1200 because the tile doesn't slide around to very much which helps when lining up 2 marks on a large tile.
On my little Sigma I like the base as if I'm doing some standard mosaic , it sits over the centre bar nicely if I want to cut a complete row. I also like it because its so small and is usable in a tight space with ease( although generally I like to set up in a diffo room from wherer I'm tiling )

I don't like the metal bases on sigmas as I find that on an older machine the bed can move around a little.
I dont like the bigger sigmas as I feel they are just too chunky and awkward to move around and have vision of it banging into something. My Rubi comes out of case and sits on thast case and just feels more streamline. Again this is only personal opinion.

I dont like the breaker on the TS as I don't really think they're any good for todays stuff , just the odd kitchen / cheapo bathroom tile now.

Diggy

D

DHTiling

So, you guys that have used both, have you got a definitive answer as to why a sigma or rubi is the better machine? We can hear Derek from sigma and Mark from rubi harp on about how good their cutters are, but bottom line, what's the aspect in your opinion that makes one better than the other?

There is no mark from rubi , he works for fila now. :)

D

Dougs Third Go

I don't think there is a definitive answer all joking aside , I find both have +ve / -ve aspects.

I like the bed on the Rubi 700/1200 because the tile doesn't slide around to very much which helps when lining up 2 marks on a large tile.
On my little Sigma I like the base as if I'm doing some standard mosaic , it sits over the centre bar nicely if I want to cut a complete row. I also like it because its so small and is usable in a tight space with ease( although generally I like to set up in a diffo room from wherer I'm tiling )

I don't like the metal bases on sigmas as I find that on an older machine the bed can move around a little.
I dont like the bigger sigmas as I feel they are just too chunky and awkward to move around and have vision of it banging into something. My Rubi comes out of case and sits on thast case and just feels more streamline. Again this is only personal opinion.

I dont like the breaker on the TS as I don't really think they're any good for todays stuff , just the odd kitchen / cheapo bathroom tile now.

Diggy
that's the kinda answer i was looking for Diggy, no disrespect to Peter, but want to hear it from guys in the firing line and not from links:thumbsup:

C

charlie1

i cant believe we are having this debate! None of them are the best! They are tools which aid a tiler to tile, the best one is the one that the tiler prefers! Its not about the tool its about the tiler, yes, sigma has better breaking and quicker than rubi but you get better vision with the rubi. The sigma is arguably constructed more efficiently imo.

Dan, maybe you could get the data on winners of jotm and compaire them with tile cutters used, that would be interesting!

D

Dougs Third Go

i cant believe we are having this debate! None of them are the best! They are tools which aid a tiler to tile, the best one is the one that the tiler prefers! Its not about the tool its about the tiler, yes, sigma has better breaking and quicker than rubi but you get better vision with the rubi. The sigma is arguably constructed more efficiently imo.

Dan, maybe you could get the data on winners of jotm and compaire them with tile cutters used, that would be interesting!
Charlie, wind your neck in pal, without discussion there's no information to give people an informed choice

beanz

TF
Berkshire
My neck is fine doug :) there are anough thread on this forum containing the words sigma v rubi to go round the earth 3 times! so if people cant make judgment on opinions already made then i cant see what else is going to help them

The only thing that'll help me really decide, is trying a sigma.. I've tried a few Rubi's and know they are better than what i have now, but i don't like Rubi as a company, as they are a little too comfortable at the top of the tree.

Reply to Let's debate , Rubi or Sigma. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All, hope you're all busy and well. Quick query: setting a floor with Porcelanosa 660 x 440...
Replies
Views
Italy
I
O
    • Winner
    • Informative
So as a couple of you may be aware, @Simon Dale his daughter Katrina, and myself are on a...
Replies
Views
L
C
Hi All, Im new to the forum, so go easy with me!!! Im after some advice please. I purchased a...
Replies
Views
One Day
O
D
Hi guys My rubi wet saw, when using it for 45 deg cuts, won't make a straight line. Let's say...
Replies
Views
Mark bute
M
F
can some one give me some info, I need a new cutter soon and I know you all bum sigma cutters...
Replies
Views
Italy
I

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB