Discuss Limestone tile cracking disaster on UFH in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DP Tiling

So sad to see things like this I genuinely feel for you and many others like you.

To circle back to something you mentioned earlier about the trade not being regulated, I agree with you an NVQ is needed for Commercial work but domestically, you can just turn up and say you're a tiler. There needs to be something like gas safe or part P put in place to protect customers against these fly-by-nights and also to allow real tradesmen to charge realistic rates to do a job properly in accordance with bs 5385 without competing against some Muppet who can't even spell BS nor count to 5 using both hands and an abacus.

I usually find with failed floors that are soft natural stones like limestone and travertine it is usually due to the tiler not solid bed fixing. Obviously this is not the main concern here but I doubt he has back buttered a single piece.

I wish you the very best of luck with this one.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I don't really think regulation and NVQ is the answer. I think we should get back to proper apprenticeships. A number of companies are now asking for screeders to have a minimum NVQ in screeding. There is an NVQ available but my kids probably know more from listening to me on the phone to customers than the NVQ teaches. It's such a worthless qualification IMO.

D

DP Tiling

I don't really think regulation and NVQ is the answer. I think we should get back to proper apprenticeships. A number of companies are now asking for screeders to have a minimum NVQ in screeding. There is an NVQ available but my kids probably know more from listening to me on the phone to customers than the NVQ teaches. It's such a worthless qualification IMO.

Alan, I agree with you 100%, there's no substitute for hands on experience with a tradesman who knows what he is doing.
I'm not saying the NVQ is the shining example of quality workmanship or indeed adequate, I think a whole new qualification needs to be created/ introduced with more stringent criteria to meet so that people who have it are recognized as a skilled tradesman. For instance, a heating engineer needs to pass strict tests to be deemed gas safe, when customers see that they know that the person knows what they're doing. This will separate the true tilers from the weekend warriors and the Barry have a go's of this world.

W

White Room

Alan, I agree with you 100%, there's no substitute for hands on experience with a tradesman who knows what he is doing.
I'm not saying the NVQ is the shining example of quality workmanship or indeed adequate, I think a whole new qualification needs to be created/ introduced with more stringent criteria to meet so that people who have it are recognized as a skilled tradesman. For instance, a heating engineer needs to pass strict tests to be deemed gas safe, when customers see that they know that the person knows what they're doing. This will separate the true tilers from the weekend warriors and the Barry have a go's of this world.

Theres still a few that claim to be and are not....the customer needs educating but there is no chance of that.

In the 70's there were chancers, it aint to going change.

Last edited by a moderator:

gamma38

TF
Bedford
Qualifications mean diddly. It only hit's working people in the pocket to get them. A cowboy and or a chancer will always be there because they are not interested in qualifications. I think people get too hung up on on them, thinking they will make it all better. How many gas safe cowboys do you know?? I have heard of a fair few round Bedford. Until Joe public start to get it nothing will change. Too often it's the cheapest quote, the builder can tile, I have just been on a job where a plumber was tiling the plaster skim wall with marble, tubbed addy, pva. He thinks he did a great job and so did the customer. Round and round it goes and always will......

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
You are having a giraffe mate, theres more gas safe/plumber cowboys in this country than pet gerbils, anyone , even my demetia uncle fred could get one [emoji15]

Quals mean diddly squat , i would rather take a lad on who had served his apprenticeship on job and not done a single day in any collage doing his nvq babba dabba do [emoji90]

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Limestone tile cracking disaster on UFH in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

hello new here but wished i had found and asked before screed and ufh down but here goes. We...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, With a kitchen renovation, Mrs choose the white mirror quartz floor tiles from a...
Replies
Views
Hello, I did some reading here and there, but the opinions seem to diverge at some point and I...
Replies
Views
Can I trouble some experts in here for some advice on laying pavers on a concrete pool surround...
Replies
Views
We're quoting to rip up and replace a tiled floor with Limestone tiles. I'm looking for advice...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB