UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Major Problem!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Tedd

He is not happy with everything and don't think replacing the cracked tiles is an option as the indepandant expert has advised the following:

All tiles to be removed to living and dinng room (£2500 of granite) floor to be pulled up by joiner.
Building contratcer to replace all joists
25mm Marine ply to be installed on joists
Retiled

Therefore the joiner gets away with buying several sheets of ply and laying them while I am left with a bill for over £3500 in tile adhesive and labour.

A

Aston

He is not happy with everything and don't think replacing the cracked tiles is an option as the indepandant expert has advised the following:

All tiles to be removed to living and dinng room (£2500 of granite) floor to be pulled up by joiner.
Building contratcer to replace all joists
25mm Marine ply to be installed on joists
Retiled

Therefore the joiner gets away with buying several sheets of ply and laying them while I am left with a bill for over £3500 in tile adhesive and labour.

thats not true tedd,
your shouldnt have to foot the bill for the re tiling, if the initial problem wasnt caused by your negligence
if the reason the cracks appeared were due to the a structural fault, then thats the responsibilty off the contractor.
you really should contact a solicitor asap..you need to know your legal rights and responsibilites regarding this matter.

T

Tedd

The Joiner seemed to be project managing the job and initially hired us. He was organising all the tradesman plasterers, plumbers, electrician etc although the owner has now said he was project managing it although we never saw him. The joiner had to sign off the tiling with the owner before we were paid and we were paid in full.

The customer ias actually bieng ok and has said that it has to go to court because there are 2 parties involved and the joiner is not admitting any liability whatsoever as he is convinced he layed the floor to BS.

Where can I get a copy of BS?

T

Tabby Cranks

The joiner has said in the investigation that there was a 12-14mm deflection in the floor prior to tiling but this is well within BS according to him. We had to fill part of it with self levelling compound to give us a chance to get over it.

I can't get my head around this. Was the floor deflecting (bouncing) 12-14mm? If so how would a leveling compound over come this? Or are you saying there was a 12-14mm fall or dip?

I agree must be deviation, however with regard to deflection of a timber floor. If your floor is suitable for a tigger (not necessarily a technical term) then this is not suitable for tile application. The adhesives have have extreme defomability capabilities these days with S2 category but there still lies the underlying problem that tiles do not bend!

A floor must be solid and sound of strength no matter what its construction.

T

Tedd

photo 6.jpg photo 5.jpg Here are 2 photos, one of the cracking along the ply and the other were there was insufficient adhesive in the top right corner.

Reply to Major Problem!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Has anyone done any work like this? We are having a pvc door removed between dining and utility...
Replies
Views
Hi I asked the Wunda technical department if I can just use a Ditra mat only and not the SLC...
Replies
Views
Hello, we have recently had some carpet fitters in who have done a great job but have...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.