Discuss Messiest trade - who do you think? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Not sure whose worse after todays debacle again. Following on from my visit yesterday to my finished tiling to find plumbers drilling tiles etc. I turned up today to fit the door and found more mess as the sparks were in. 7 holes drilled in the ceiling for spotlights and fan, no dustsheets, plaster dust everywhere, all over shower tray again and walking all over it. I had to walk away. Not only is it disrespectful to my work, but also to the customer who has spent thousands doing the bathroom.

When I spoke to plumbers yesterday they told me they just use their finger to silicon, no need to use tape, finger is good enough. I'll let you decide if it's good enough. And pictures of the mess left.

My previously white silicon, done on Friday
p1.jpg

Plumbers excellent finish between tray and screen done yesterday
p2.jpg

Clearly their level is as good as the finger they use for silicon
p3.jpg

Dust layer left on floor when swept hand across it
p4.jpg

Mess left on floor, new door threshold bar and plaster dust on landing carpet
p5.jpg

Dust left like this on all sanitary ware
p6.jpg

Attachments

• p2.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 98
  • p3.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 96
Definitely plumbers, I have two son in laws that are plumbers/gasfitters and whenever I am working with them I feel like screaming. With tools and bits of pipe, soggy dirty bits of rag lids off flux..............I never let them drill holes in my tiles, I will do it and they can watch if they like. I'm like a mother hen round them , clearing up their mess. To cap it all they think that I do the "glory" job and they do all the hard work that no one sees. Yeh right.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Definately, although last week I had a dead on spark. Grinding tracks with bosch dust extractor, kangoed out the track and brushed everything up and took his mess away. Left the place spotless. Couldn't believe it.

Must have been a tiler in a past life :smilewinkgrin:

wayne

TF
leeds
I was just finishing a toilet block the other week when the sparky turned up. I was just giving it a final wash when I heard a mango start up. He needed to put his electric tray through 2 walls in toilets above finished tile height so decided to Kango through breeze block wall. The plasterboard was dot and dabbed onto breeze block and I had tiled it. He couldn't understand why I was unhappy about all the rubble all over fresh grout let alone what damage he was doing with the Kango. A quiet word was needed, followed by a very noisy one

Chalker

TF
Arms
Tadcaster
Two local tilers are the dirtiest known to man. If I fit a bathroom they have tiled I have to spend ages cleaning the bath and shower from the lumps of addy. Then use a scraper and coarse emulsifying pad to remove grout residue from tiles before I can silicone.

all their clothiers are waterproof as they are completely covered in various colours of silicone.

So its not just plumbers!:sofahide:

T

Time's Ran Out

Mr Benton is correct - it's all about respect!
Although we all have a job to do, if we all think about the next trade in it would be a much better working environment.....
..... and pigs may fly!

The worst case I had were painters rubbing down plaster and emulsion spray on recently laid and polished Terracotta - ingrained and ruined!
I always offer my dustpan and brush when Electricians are about to leave - they get the message.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
The slate floor i just tiled/sealed/grouted/sealed
1-owner of house walked all over a hour after sealing, ruined
2-day after kitchen fitters went in and fit kitchen, cut everything over floor , no sheets, ruined even more.
3- tile shop sent wrong grout, i grouted unbeknown, needs all cutting out, regrouting, then seal somehow removed and re-sealed.
Oh and the amount of scratches on tiles from said kitchen fitters, all in all a darn good week twas week before last :)

Yep Sparks do take so beating ,smalls cuts of cable laying in the joints before you have grouted,light fitting empty boxes and other packing swept to the corner of the room,I tend to wait until everything is fitted before I do any silicone to avoid staining.Also had a painter wanted to paint above a geometric floor that I had laid,told him he will have to wait as I did not use rapid,turned up next morning the floor was a mess he had put a dust sheet over the floor and as he work along he drag the dust sheet across the floor moving all the small squares and triangles,spent about 3 hours redoing them.

Reply to Messiest trade - who do you think? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Am I a ****? Bumped into a builder in my local and he sees I do tiling so asks me to...
Replies
Views
C
Hi all Hoping for some opinions on how to handle an ongoing issue in having with my tiler He...
Replies
Views
D
Hello to all those in the know. I'm baffled by what to do and how to do it, or get it done...
Replies
Views
D
How do I drill a hole in a steel bath. Or cast iron bath. Instructions on drilling into baths...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 1779
D
S
Hi all, I haven't been on here in ages ..apologies for that.....time goes so fast. But I hope...
Replies
Views
p4ulo
P

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB