UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Mirror recess in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Tresco

Hi All,
I'm planning on fitting a mirror over a double vanity unit and recessing it into a tiled surround, size of the mirror will be 1200mm x 60mmish high.
What i'm not sure of is if the mirror adhesives are 'instant grab'? I obviously won't have any space in the recess to bed the adhesive in, I did think about leaving the top of the recess untiled which would then give me the ability to wiggle the mirror into the adhesive and then tiling after.
Anyway if anybody has done this I'd be grateful for any tips.

tommyzooom

TF
Arms
Ireland
Be careful what mirror adhesive u use get the best one! Dont use silicone or tile adhesive. Tile adhesive shrinks and pull silver off back or warps mirror! Silicone does similar over time and can go mouldy. I know as i made these silly mistakes years ago!

My glass place, where I buy mirrors recommend using NEUTRAL silicone...??

P

Plumbing Tiler

I have always used the Geocel/Dow Corning Mirror Adhesive applied with a mastic gun, usually get it from Screwfix, never let me down yet, not too pricey either, I always put packers/spacers in to hold it level and in place but it does seem to be instant grab, if this isn't an option then just put some duck tape across the corners onto the tiles to act as a safety while the adhesive cures, and if you are grouting around it then let the adhesive cure overnight before grouting as the adhesive will need air to be able to get to it to help it set.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Mirror recess in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm getting towards the end of a major renovation that has taken 4+ years so don't...
Replies
Views
T
I've just bought 85m2 of these Limestone Tiles The sub-base consists of a wet UFH system...
Replies
Views
Spare Tool
S
S
Hi Everyone, Am hoping someone can help with some advice here. I have had 120sq mtrs of honed...
Replies
Views
G
Hello all, Right...the Wife and I have just bought a right old project so funds are low, so I...
Replies
Views
p4ulo
P

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.