Discuss My Bad day with Garage ceiling. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

user123

Re: What a busy day!

ROUGH AS GUTS AWARD you cant let him leave that family or not get him back or at least pm his number to me :mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

Plaster board would have been fine unless the garage trusses are made of tissue paper! That ply probably isnt strong enough to hold the insulation whereas plasterboard would have been.

Thats a poor finish by any standards and by someone who clearly doesnt have a clue what he is doing :thumbsdown:

Whats that saying.. you can choose your friends but not your family

:yikes: I didn't realise that was the ceiling, I thought it was an upside down pic of some ply he'd laid on the floor to protect it while he skimmed ceiling. Seriously!

I feel understood....thanks... my voice has gone a bit funny squeeky in my head about it.... must be shock... Doug..:lol:. protect the floor :lol:, I wish, I spent most of yesterday hacking of blobs of finishing plaster of the floor, off items left on the other side of the garage, the drive, the patio, the garden gate, and sorting out my recylcled paper and plastic council bin here as all the rubbish was poured into it... I'm not a happy bunny, but ok, it has to be sorted, so, how do I sort it, rip it all out and use plasterboard or is my wooden slat supports idea from below ok...?

U

user123

id go the plasterboard route as ply will only bow ask some of the locals on here im sure they will help out if they can and i will garatee you will get a better finish:thumbsup:

ps still waiting on pm

ooh, I only just got what you meant..:smilewinkgrin:.. I can't give you his number :yikes: it will only get back to me one way or another... not good, trust me... and none of the TF guys on here are local enough, .... blaaaah....I have just been staring at it, but I can't do this on my own, lifting and fixing boards to ceilings
dunno.gif
Howard is working most of the weekend and all next week, I got a dicky foot and I'm just so frustrated... the only way I can see where I don't have to pay extra is to use the remaining board left over to screw in again from underneath, double up so to speak, but even that will need 4 hands.... pfffff.....

U

user123

Oh, boy... husband says to me this morning, 'so you wanted plasterboard,' I say, "yes, a skimmed plasterboard ceiling, that's what I expected" "What, you want it skimming, too?" "Well yes, I say, it needs doing properly, we have a smart house, why bodge things up?" "ok, leave it with me, I'll talk to him tonight, but you better be prepared to justify your reasons.." Arrgh!!! Basically it means I'm going to be faced with a bolgey fellow on the phone or up here in person with the attitude that girly here doesn't know what she's talking about, and I need strong arguments and, ideally, a cheaper alternative that is maybe easier to fix up if he refuses point blank, I have the feeling hubby will want to stay out of it for his daughter's sake and it is my workshop after all... can I have some strong arguments from you guys please, apart from "that's the proper way to do it"?
uh-oh.gif

U

user123

well he obviously cant fix ply right so try plaster:lol:
I KNOOWW!!!
sick2.gif
Ask me how worried I am?? Jeez... Hubby, who is working all week, says, you better wait with having it done until I'm around in the daytime, so I can see what he's doing... which would only be from next week, the grandbaby is due on August 5th, any day now... sooooo.... heck... and it's a 100 mile round trip for the nearly son-in-law...(Hull - Scarborough) and my little studio is full of the stuff from the garage, so can't use that either... can you feel my nervous breakdown coming on???

no really its a far better choice as far as re sale :thumbsup: :thumbsup:insulation :thumbsup::thumbsup: appearance :thumbsup: and practical choice you can change the color to suit:thumbsup: and it should make the area appear larger :thumbsup:

(if done right ):oops: indeed
Thanks, Jay....

U

user123

the next one you can use is - I'm the customer, and that's what I want it to look like.

or alternatively (if you're really hacked off) - no problem, I'll find someone else to do it for me :smilewinkgrin: family...hmm... tricky....

oh and here's a good one - if it were your house, how would you like the ceiling to look? Ah, good question, don't think I'd like the answer...

:thumbsup:

I'm doing a lot of puffing up cheeks and letting out breath here... :lol:

M

Mike

as you're paying him he should do a good job even if you're related. no excuse for workmanship like that and you should tell him (politely of course) that he'll never be able to support his family with work like that! keep an eye on him plasterboarding, make sure there's plenty of noggins in the ceiling, joints are taped and he uses screws not nails for the boards. good luck:thumbsup:

Reply to My Bad day with Garage ceiling. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Found this forum while searching for a new tile cutter, and was impressed by the help and...
Replies
Views
M
Evening chaps....over the past few days i have been helping a friend to remove a chimney breast...
Replies
Views
DHTiling
D
J
Not had a good day today :thumbsdown: was having a quick bite to eat an a brew when theres...
Replies
Views
Stewart
S
V
morning all. been doing work for a building company for a few years now, i went to do a kitchen...
Replies
Views
Perry
P
it all started last friday when i noticed my eyes weren't quite right, i was finding it hard to...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
My Bad day with Garage ceiling.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.