Discuss My DIY bathroom refit - Lots of advice needed in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

dazzler9000

I’m embarking on my DIY tiling project. I’ve got lots of questions so I’m hoping you can help me out!!

I’m going to be gutting my bathroom and having a new bathroom suite including a freestanding bath. I’ll be fitting new tiles on the walls and floor. I’ll be using a Norton clipper TT200EM to make the cuts.

The bath will have a mixer tap and shower attachment so the room shouldn't get that wet.

I’ll be using quartz on the floor (300x600), gloss white ceramics for the walls (300x600)and mosaics for a feature wall and window ledge.

Questions!!

1 – The walls are plasterboard and plastered. They have been painted and they have a slight ripple effect on them? Not sure what this is as it was there before we moved in. Will I need to flatten this out or can I tile straight on to it? Will I need to board the walls with a "no more ply" type product?

2 – Will I need to primer everything with an SBR primer?

3 – I currently have ply on the floor over the floor boards. Does this ply need to come up and be replaced with “no more ply” or equivalent

4 – Is it advised to use edging strips or try and join the tiles at the edges? If I go with edging strips, what’s the best finish to go for with gloss white tiles – White or silver? You chaps see this stuff all the time, what’s the best finish, flat or round?

5 – I’ve noticed that the tiles on a lot of websites I’ve seen are are arranged in a grid like fashion and not staggered. Is this the right way to do it or is it simply down to personal preference? Also I’ve noticed that 300x600 tiles can go in portrait or landscape orientation. Is there a right or wrong way to do them and what looks best in your opinion?

6 – Which spacers would I use between tiles (2mm?)

7 - Cutting the edge tile in half on mosaics – (I’ve asked this question on another thread but I may as well ask it here for addition comments). I’m going to be laying two rows of mosaics and I’m a little nervous about the amount of cutting I’m going to have to do, any advice on cutting those nuisance edge tiles.

Mosaic_300_x_300.jpeg

Adhesives

8 – Walls - Do I need a flexible adhesive for the Walls? Would something like this be OK?
Slow Set Wall/Floor Tile Adhesive Grey 20kg (Adesilex P9)

Do I need something different for the glass/stone mosaics?

9 - Floor - Guessing this would be OK for the floors - Fast Setting Flexible Quartz Tile Adhesive Grey 2 Part

Grouts

10 – I’ve used the Kerapoxy epoxy grout before in my kitchen floor and quite liked it. Should I use this again on the bathroom floor as it will get a little wet?

11 – As the kerapoxy is expensive, would the “Keracolour FF White 5kg” be OK for the walls considering I’m not planning on having water splashing on them all day long?

Sorry for the overload of questions but I’d rather get it right first time :hurray:

Last edited by a moderator:
W

White Room

1, Remove all paint
2,I prefer the Mapei G primer, if you use sbr thin down to 3 water-1 sbr on the gypsum plastered walls...for plasterboard I would'nt but allways read manufacturer's instructions
3,Hardie or no more ply after removing the ply...how thick is the ply.
4,white or silver is a personal choice, I prefer silver square brushed/mat
5,Your choice, my preference is landscape
6,2mm
7,Manual or wet cutter,make sure the wet saw blade dos'nt chip the glass mosaic
8,For ceramic the P9 white not grey should be fine
9,Do you have UFH and what colour are the Quartz tiles

D

dazzler9000

1, Remove all paint
2,I prefer the Mapei G primer, if you use sbr thin down to 3 water-1 sbr on the gypsum plastered walls...for plasterboard I would'nt but allways read manufacturer's instructions
6,2mm

Hi whitebeam,

1 - How would I go about removing the paint? That doesn't sound an easy job?

2 - I've got no preference, I just thought I needed to use the SBR? Should I just use the Primer G?

3 - I can remember without ripping up the current lino.... I'd only put it down to make a good surface for the lino. I was looking at using the 6mm no more ply as it should be OK looking at their website. It will also help to keep down costs as they seem to be spiraling out of control.

9 - No, we don't have UFH. She's found a dark grey quartz that she seems to like..

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
1, Remove all paint
6,2mm

As above.

As for the grout questions, use what you're comfortable with but you don't have to use an epoxy grout really.

D

dazzler9000

Is the stack pattern a lot easier then? I used the running bond when I did my kitchen floor and didn't have too many issues. At least I may be making life easier for myself by using the stack for the walls.....

I used the Epoxy grout in the kitchen and I found it strangely satisfying.... That sounds weird :) BTW, would I need a flexible grout for the bathroom floor? Wooden floorboards overlayed with no more ply or hardibacker?

Mr T, I don't have a dry cutter just a wet.... I have a decent grinder with cutting blade or somebody suggested using a dry cutting blade in my wet saw....

Reply to My DIY bathroom refit - Lots of advice needed in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB