Discuss My DIY bathroom refit - Lots of advice needed in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

dazzler9000

I’m embarking on my DIY tiling project. I’ve got lots of questions so I’m hoping you can help me out!!

I’m going to be gutting my bathroom and having a new bathroom suite including a freestanding bath. I’ll be fitting new tiles on the walls and floor. I’ll be using a Norton clipper TT200EM to make the cuts.

The bath will have a mixer tap and shower attachment so the room shouldn't get that wet.

I’ll be using quartz on the floor (300x600), gloss white ceramics for the walls (300x600)and mosaics for a feature wall and window ledge.

Questions!!

1 – The walls are plasterboard and plastered. They have been painted and they have a slight ripple effect on them? Not sure what this is as it was there before we moved in. Will I need to flatten this out or can I tile straight on to it? Will I need to board the walls with a "no more ply" type product?

2 – Will I need to primer everything with an SBR primer?

3 – I currently have ply on the floor over the floor boards. Does this ply need to come up and be replaced with “no more ply” or equivalent

4 – Is it advised to use edging strips or try and join the tiles at the edges? If I go with edging strips, what’s the best finish to go for with gloss white tiles – White or silver? You chaps see this stuff all the time, what’s the best finish, flat or round?

5 – I’ve noticed that the tiles on a lot of websites I’ve seen are are arranged in a grid like fashion and not staggered. Is this the right way to do it or is it simply down to personal preference? Also I’ve noticed that 300x600 tiles can go in portrait or landscape orientation. Is there a right or wrong way to do them and what looks best in your opinion?

6 – Which spacers would I use between tiles (2mm?)

7 - Cutting the edge tile in half on mosaics – (I’ve asked this question on another thread but I may as well ask it here for addition comments). I’m going to be laying two rows of mosaics and I’m a little nervous about the amount of cutting I’m going to have to do, any advice on cutting those nuisance edge tiles.

Mosaic_300_x_300.jpeg

Adhesives

8 – Walls - Do I need a flexible adhesive for the Walls? Would something like this be OK?
Slow Set Wall/Floor Tile Adhesive Grey 20kg (Adesilex P9)

Do I need something different for the glass/stone mosaics?

9 - Floor - Guessing this would be OK for the floors - Fast Setting Flexible Quartz Tile Adhesive Grey 2 Part

Grouts

10 – I’ve used the Kerapoxy epoxy grout before in my kitchen floor and quite liked it. Should I use this again on the bathroom floor as it will get a little wet?

11 – As the kerapoxy is expensive, would the “Keracolour FF White 5kg” be OK for the walls considering I’m not planning on having water splashing on them all day long?

Sorry for the overload of questions but I’d rather get it right first time :hurray:

Last edited by a moderator:
R

RDTiling

I was only going to go for the 'no more ply' as they sell it where I'm getting my tiles from. Presumably it's the equivalent of Hardibacker?

NMP is an equivalent of Hardie. If you can get NMP from the same place as your tiles, then you might as well get that.

I think the main difference is in the installation of the boards. NMP uses its own adhesive that is applied to the back of the board via a silicon gun and is then screwed to the floor using 25mm NMP screws. With Hardie, you need to comb a non-flexible tile adhesive to the floor and then screw down. (many on here have used flexible adhesive with no problem).

I cant remember if NMP board joints need to be taped, so check with your stockist.

The boards should ideally be laid in a brick bond pattern.

D

dazzler9000

4, white, chrome, square or round is down to prefference... I personally with white ceramic would go for either square white or round depending on the utilities in the room. Just be sure you get the correct size trim for the thickness of tile you plan to use

Quick question about trim, my tiles are going to be 8mm thick. Would I use a 10mm tile trim?

When tiling to the ceiling, is it best to use a tile trim touching the ceiling? It hadn't occurred to me but I saw a photo of a bathroom that had used them?

D

dazzler9000

Don't serate all of the wall in this weather or it will go off... So much more you need to know mate that's why we suggest you get a few quotes it can be a real nightmare if you don't know what your doing and can cost you in the long run ;)

Sorry mate, what did you mean by 'don't serate the walls'

I understand what you're saying but it's really not in the budget and I'm keen to at least try and gain some tiling skills. Besides, I'll be alright I've got the Mrs helping me :mad2:.... at least if it does go wrong I get to push half the blame on her.

Thanks everybody else for your contributions!!

M

Mr Tiler

Sorry mate, what did you mean by 'don't serate the walls'

I understand what you're saying but it's really not in the budget and I'm keen to at least try and gain some tiling skills. Besides, I'll be alright I've got the Mrs helping me :mad2:.... at least if it does go wrong I get to push half the blame on her.

Thanks everybody else for your contributions!!

what I mean is when you apply your selected adhesive to the wall.... this time of year it is not a good idea to serate the whole wall at once just go up a couple of course at a time mate. good luck and some pics would be appreciated of the work thanks

Reply to My DIY bathroom refit - Lots of advice needed in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB