Discuss My DIY bathroom refit - Lots of advice needed in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

dazzler9000

I’m embarking on my DIY tiling project. I’ve got lots of questions so I’m hoping you can help me out!!

I’m going to be gutting my bathroom and having a new bathroom suite including a freestanding bath. I’ll be fitting new tiles on the walls and floor. I’ll be using a Norton clipper TT200EM to make the cuts.

The bath will have a mixer tap and shower attachment so the room shouldn't get that wet.

I’ll be using quartz on the floor (300x600), gloss white ceramics for the walls (300x600)and mosaics for a feature wall and window ledge.

Questions!!

1 – The walls are plasterboard and plastered. They have been painted and they have a slight ripple effect on them? Not sure what this is as it was there before we moved in. Will I need to flatten this out or can I tile straight on to it? Will I need to board the walls with a "no more ply" type product?

2 – Will I need to primer everything with an SBR primer?

3 – I currently have ply on the floor over the floor boards. Does this ply need to come up and be replaced with “no more ply” or equivalent

4 – Is it advised to use edging strips or try and join the tiles at the edges? If I go with edging strips, what’s the best finish to go for with gloss white tiles – White or silver? You chaps see this stuff all the time, what’s the best finish, flat or round?

5 – I’ve noticed that the tiles on a lot of websites I’ve seen are are arranged in a grid like fashion and not staggered. Is this the right way to do it or is it simply down to personal preference? Also I’ve noticed that 300x600 tiles can go in portrait or landscape orientation. Is there a right or wrong way to do them and what looks best in your opinion?

6 – Which spacers would I use between tiles (2mm?)

7 - Cutting the edge tile in half on mosaics – (I’ve asked this question on another thread but I may as well ask it here for addition comments). I’m going to be laying two rows of mosaics and I’m a little nervous about the amount of cutting I’m going to have to do, any advice on cutting those nuisance edge tiles.

Mosaic_300_x_300.jpeg

Adhesives

8 – Walls - Do I need a flexible adhesive for the Walls? Would something like this be OK?
Slow Set Wall/Floor Tile Adhesive Grey 20kg (Adesilex P9)

Do I need something different for the glass/stone mosaics?

9 - Floor - Guessing this would be OK for the floors - Fast Setting Flexible Quartz Tile Adhesive Grey 2 Part

Grouts

10 – I’ve used the Kerapoxy epoxy grout before in my kitchen floor and quite liked it. Should I use this again on the bathroom floor as it will get a little wet?

11 – As the kerapoxy is expensive, would the “Keracolour FF White 5kg” be OK for the walls considering I’m not planning on having water splashing on them all day long?

Sorry for the overload of questions but I’d rather get it right first time :hurray:

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mr Tiler

this tiler in particular is still young and been tiling for 16 years so I think he knows what he is doing, all I talk about is tiling and one of the things that attracted me to this position is the fact that he cares so much about the trade. we even debated tanking a cardboard box to see if it really works. it didn't but that is up for debate on how the box was done. but still they care about there work and that's what makes a good tiler. a good trqadesman watches and learns I am already tiling for this company so my 14 months sitting at home on this site wasn't wasted. that and the fact I am still to pay stef for the cutters. I honestly don't care what people think of me now as I have a job for life or at least until the next recession and if that's the case at least I will know how to tile by then I can do walls but floors are my monster!... good day guys il see you tue night for the pics that ali is personally gonna count!... and ali, I still want to come tiling with you one of the weekends mate see what are made of lol

M

Mr Tiler

and guess what, he actually has colleage qualifications which mean jack spot! I was better off to read the info on this site rather than go to colleage!... I wouldn't say a 2 week course will make you a tiler but a good amount of willpower and determination will get you to where you want to be.... to anyone who reads this and wants to be a tiler just prepair for aching.... and a lot of it because it hurts a lot more that most trades!!!!!! but on the other hand. I recall girl racer red calling me a bum of sorts for apparently sitting on my backside and not getting a crappy agency job, its because I knew my worth not because I am a waste of space. I love my job and work bluddy hard at it already feel like my limbs am falling off but that's what you get back from all the graft!!!!!

D

dazzler9000

After a week of ridiculously hard work I've finally finished (well, after a little touch up with grout)

It certainly wasn't an experience I'd want to repeat anytime soon as it took me so long to finish and was bloody hard work. I'm happy with the results and very proud to be honest as I know that I cut and placed every single tile :thumbsup:.

The worst part for me was grouting the mosaics. It was horrific.... We went for the mapei anthracite in the end and my other half was going nuts as it looked like we'd just ruined our mosaics, but after lots of washing off it all looked great.

The blue LEDs aren't as bright as they look in the photos and provide a nice soothing mood when having a soak.

Thanks for all you advice chaps!

DSC_0420 (Copy).JPG

DSC_0422 (Copy).JPG

DSC_0423 (Copy).JPG

DSC_0424 (Copy).JPG

DSC_0425 (Copy).JPG

DSC_0427 (Copy).JPG

DSC_0428 (Copy).JPG

DSC_0429 (Copy).JPG

DSC_0436 (Copy).JPG

DSC_0433 (Copy).JPG

DSC_0434 (Copy).JPG

DSC_0435 (Copy).JPG

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to My DIY bathroom refit - Lots of advice needed in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB