Discuss Oh WOW!! REUTERS (!!) interviewed Saad!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

user123

wow what fantastic work, how long would it take to finish a portrait?

It takes him between 3-6 months, pretty relentless work, he's a bit like an artistic marathon runner, just keeps on going. People really have no idea how exhausting mosaics can be, because when you are tired you can just get in to this thing that you place any old piece anywhere (within reason) thinking it's ok but it isn't really.
With subject matter like portraits to get everything just right is really important, otherwise it just looks all wrong, or the likeness or expression or perspective of features isn't there, it really is a mammoth effort.
His work is so amazing as he not only gets the direction of the pieces right, but also the combination of single colours that from the distance then are interpreted as a smooth skin tone, his ability to choose the mix correctly is staggering. Each piece is really a separate creative process, much more so than with painting that is so much easier to correct.
You see him handling the glass with these tweezers, in absolute silence and focus for ages and ages and the next thing he grabs the angle grinder to modify some tool, and then heads outside for a ***, comes back with a new idea and throws this perfect sketch on a sheet of paper of something he wants to explain to me to do next or whatever, lots of activity and kind of mayhem, and then, back to it, fine tweezer work, absolute silence. Staggering stuff.

Ehm... what was your question? :lol:

U

user123

hes an amazingly talented and patient man and has earned his praise

he also puts up with G

sorry G .........only kidding

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Actually, you are more right than you might think..:lol:

My first reaction always is, when he tries to tell me something or help, "but I want to do it MY way, not copy someone else's ideas/methods/ system" and he sighs and rubs his head and just looks and smiles and leaves me to struggle and then, a few hours or days later, I say, ok, how do I do this again?" Poor guy.... :lol:

M

mikethetile

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Actually, you are more right than you might think..:lol:

My first reaction always is, when he tries to tell me something or help, "but I want to do it MY way, not copy someone else's ideas/methods/ system" and he sighs and rubs his head and just looks and smiles and leaves me to struggle and then, a few hours or days later, I say, ok, how do I do this again?" Poor guy.... :lol:
I can believe that:lol:

Reply to Oh WOW!! REUTERS (!!) interviewed Saad!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

U
Saad's mother Lynda passed away this morning. I spoke with her just a few weeks ago, a lovely...
2 3
Replies
Views
user123
U
U
Wowee, :hurray: some of you have seen my friend and mentor Saad Romany Mikhaiel's work, but...
Replies
Views
U
Saad (Master of Micro Mosaics) and I are planning to run some mosaic and/or art courses...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Oh WOW!! REUTERS (!!) interviewed Saad!!!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.