Discuss Old times reality check. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I was only pulling your leg Phil, it must've been a post where you said it:thumbsup:

It was Doug, I also had the saying, "I might be slow, but I'm rough", again tongue in cheek. This trade has changed so much, unfortunatly not for the better. There are people calling themselves tilers, that I would not trust to do my grouting, very sad, but very true.:mad2:

D

DHTiling

Bri did look good in that photo though.:yikes:

PHIL!!!!!!!!

You will be swapping your T&S journal for this soon :lol:

unzippedbreedlove.jpg

Mrs was sorting out the old photos the other week and came across this one. It was one of the first floors I was let loose on , on my own. The guy who taught me got a contract with a conservatory Co and he let me do all the work on it. It was great then , 4 choices , 8 x 8 and thats your lot , this was one of the choices , about 24 yrs ago this was taken.

I miss the Hexagon/Octagon and dot stuff , think it looks great .

Diggy

Hexagon0001_zpsa8fbf758.jpg

That was tongue in cheek doug,:lol: I was never rough. I was fast though, And yes with 6"x6" I did a full bathroom (18yd2) in a day every day on my new build sites, grouted polished. I even got in a half tiled bathroom as well some days. I kid you not, good money back then. Different game all-together.

Anyone who doubts this is a fool, I can bring people on here to confirm this was the norm back then.:thumbsup:

Quite , my record was a small room on a hospital ward , 23m² 6x6 by 1pm grouted and polished.

For those who weren't around then , the explanation is ......... Universal edge.

Diggy

B

bugs183

[h=2]
icon1.png
Old times reality check.[/h]
hang on 40m2 kitchens, christ, big kitchens, come on bugs ?​

Yep easily!
St Margarets hospital in Birmingham. It was a massive looney bin. Each ward would have a huge kitchen, basically four walls with nothing in it. (40m2 on average).
You'd turn up plim a line around the room, cut a gauge stick, then set your h-trim to that. No bottom cuts.
Then get tiling! 6'x 6' as the lads say, you'd grab a handful of tiles, stick it with Bal Wall, no spacers needed.
Done and grouted by four, dead easy!!!

Was amazing how many metres could have been fixed in a day 20 years ago when it was 6x6 and not large format rectified. I know old tilers who could have fixed and 2grouted a 20m bathroom in a day.
Did the Mc Carthy Stone retirement flats in the 80s bashed out a flat a day 27yds2 grouted with 6x6 was earning more then than today but tax was 33% then and what about the old cameo tiles those were the days not a lot of heavy lugging.

Last edited:

Reply to Old times reality check. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hey guys, I normally post over in diynot for general DIY but wrt tiling over timber I need some...
Replies
Views
Just Rizzle
J
Hi Guys, Got another kitchen install coming up and am tiling the floor which was covered with...
Replies
Views
A
Hi Guys Ive just joined this and am asking all tilers for their help. I have just had a radiator...
Replies
Views
S
Hi guys I'm going to try to tile my bathroom. On the pictures you will see two old window...
Replies
Views
White Room
W
J
drying times seem to be a real issue with todays tilers and modern day addys my first years in...
2 3
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB