UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Please Help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

annette

Hello Guys, please can you give me some advice. We have just had our bathroom tiled today by the council, it was part of the housing modernisations.
The bathroom has been tiled over some very recently plastered walls they were plastered (approx 4 weeks) ago.

Question
Should the newly plastered walls have been coated with some sort of PVA bonding before the tiles were put on??
Also the tiler tiled over some 1/2" thick ply board that was boxing all the pipes in, no PVA bonding was use on either the newly plastered walls or the boarding.
Question
Should the ply board have been coated with some sort of PVA bonding before the tiles were put on??

Up to now 6 tiles have fell off the plywood and 3 off the main wall, I know the tiler told me he was running short of tiling adhesive as he told me 15 minutes before he finished the job today. He came downstairs and told me he had finished the job and that he managed to scrape just enough adhesive out of the bucket to finish the job, I said to my Husband I bet there's not much adhesive on those last batch of tiles he's put on. I was right the 5 tiles that fell off the main wall were the last ones he put on, I checked the back off them and the wall for the supposed adhesive you would be lucky if there was enough on the back of one tile to cover half a slice of toast never mind a 12 inch tile.

I'm well peed off

Thank You

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Daz

No he has not grouted yet

Give him hell when he returns to grout.

You need to know what adhesive he used?
What trowel he used?
Did he prime the substrate first?

Hit him with a curved ball - Did he tank the bath and shower area? (we all know he didn't)

Then ask him why the tiles have come away? And what is he going to do to ensure that they don't come away again?

Did he "comb" the adhesive or dot and dab?

Just remember, that if he uses ready mixed adhesive, he can't grout for at least 24 hours.

A

annette

I really need to know the facts, with the tiles been 10x10 should the new plastered walls and wood have been Primed?? I need to be armed with this information when we visit the council on Monday, we actually paid £300 for 6 meters of tiling, they were only going to do half the bathroom so we had to pay the rest, guess which bit of the bathrooms tiles are put on the worse, you guessed right the walls we had to pay extra for. Thank You all for helping me.

Annette

D

Daz

Primer no, but the adhesive is only one step up from DIY stuff, which is c**p and not suitable for a bathroom.

Sounds like he hasn't applied the adhesive correctly and / or bedded the tiles properly. Probably covered too large an area with adhesive so it has skinned before he has got round to applying the tiles.

Just a thought, but sounds like a poor fixing job to me.

BTW, 6m2 should cost you a maximum of £150. If you're near me, I'll come and do it properly??

A

annette

You need to know what adhesive he used? MAPEGRIP D1
What trowel he used? DONT KNOW A ONE WITH GROVES IN IT
Did he prime the substrate first? WHAT DO YOU MEAN

Hit him with a curved ball - Did he tank the bath and shower area? (we all know he didn't) NO HE DIDN'T

Then ask him why the tiles have come away? And what is he going to do to ensure that they don't come away again?

Did he "comb" the adhesive or dot and dab? HE COMBED THE BACK OF SOME TILES AND IN SOME PLACES HE JUST PUT A BIG AREA OF ADHESIVE ON THE WALL AND STARTED PUTTING THE TILES ON

Just remember, that if he uses ready mixed adhesive, he can't grout for at least 24 hours

A

annette

Primer no, but the adhesive is only one step up from DIY stuff, which is c**p and not suitable for a bathroom.

Sounds like he hasn't applied the adhesive correctly and / or bedded the tiles properly. Probably covered too large an area with adhesive so it has skinned before he has got round to applying the tiles.

Just a thought, but sounds like a poor fixing job to me.

BTW, 6m2 should cost you a maximum of £150. If you're near me, I'll come and do it properly??

£300 was for the tiles as well as the work, I know it would have been a fair price if the work was done properly :dizzy2:

A

annette

The price doesn't sound too bad then. It sounds like poor quality fixing.
If the tiles are coming off, then it seems perfectly reasonable to question the quality and ability of the fixer.

He was only a young lad who did the work, he did say he had never done a full bathroom before and it took him 4 days to do it, the size of the room is about at a guess 14 meters or less

A

annette

IMG_1596.jpg

IMG_1597.jpg

IMG_1598.jpg

IMG_1599.jpg

IMG_1600.jpg

IMG_1601.jpg

IMG_1602.jpg

IMG_1604.jpg

IMG_1605.jpg

Reply to Please Help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
    • Useful
Hi, Im looking for a recommendation for a liquid tanking. I have to use a liquid tanking...
Replies
Views
    • Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.