Discuss plumber tiling a kitchen in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

brinkley

hi i got a call yesterday from a lady in distress over how much she was charged fo her 3m2 of kitchen walls the bill came in at £499.50 of labour and £28.00 materials :yikes:.
So i went to see thekitchen today and have agreed to give her a quote nothing special a days work max.
th work is already done by the pumber /tiler and he has put a bill in of 4.5 days labour at £20 per hour.but this pricealso include a day that his son in law helped out at £9.00 ph

she went to trading standards over this and they have told her to get 3 quotes fom local tilers to work out an average price for this kitchen.
i have quoted this at £280.00 nc mats which is still hefty for 3 meters imo
but i will receve £20.00 for 5 mins of looking at the job and 10 mins of writing up an invoice on the comp
she hasnot paid any money yet but did offer £300.00 which he declined saying there was lots of cutting and the son in law cut his finger on the sharpe edge (crazy).
any one else had to quote for a job already done?and get paid

C

Colour Republic

Not sure how this is going to work or what trading standards could do about it??

It does seem very expensive but I think it's a little unfair. I mean you were told why she wanted a quote and also how much the guy had charged, it sounds like you did a fair quote but still seems a little unfair even more so that you have no idea what state the walls were in before he started.

I'm not trying to defend the guy, but the customer can of course only give one side of the story to both you and trading standards.

I suppose the biggest question is 'Is the tiling up to scratch?'

B

brinkley

tfs £28.00 mats probably tubbed addy
walls looked flat to me think he has tiled on to previously flat painted walls
he is a plumber not a tiler
the one thing i could say to her is that this job would have taken me a day but i could do the plumbing in 4 days although a plumber would take a day is it justifiable to charge for 4 days for a job that you can eventually do when another trade who actually do this day in day out can do it in one day basically charging for four days when it can be done in one by the right tradesman

Reply to plumber tiling a kitchen in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

M
Hello, I am hoping to find someone to come do some tiling for me in my kitchen. I've posted on...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 9966
D
I
I went to look at a floor that had failed a couple of days ago and of the 60 m2, not much of it...
Replies
Views
I
Hello all. Hope all ok. Last Friday I went to look on job. And it is a 10 mm limestone 30 sq m...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone. Been meaning to do this for ages so, eventually, here we go. I'd done the odd bit...
Replies
Views
foggy34
F
P
Here is my all to common rant of the week before I go on my holiday tomorrow. I am a woman, its...
Replies
Views
DHTiling
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
plumber tiling a kitchen
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.