UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Pva Versus Primers | Always Use A Primer When Tiling, And Not Pva in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Z

zenman63

Re: P.v.a. Versus Primers......

Hi, Are you gus saying, you have put PVA on as a sealer without watering it down 5-1?
In that case it will peel of, pva as a sealer, never had a problem, it goes right in to the back ground.
I am never to old to learn and I am taking on what you are all saying.
I have some big floors to do, 150m sandstone, 75m limestone etc and would just mix 1 L pva with a 5L water and wash it down with a roller, when its dry I start to fix, never had a problem in over 20 years.
I would never put tub adhesive on wood as you are looking for problems, and would never use tud adhesve in a wet area also, pva or not.

What do you guys recomend as a sealer then?

S

spatech

Hi everyone.
ABOUT PVA

I HAVE JUST BEEN BROUGHT IN TO TAKE OVER A JOB FROM SOME TILIERS AS THE WORK THAY HAD DONE WAS PRETTY BAD,THAY PARTLY TILED 1 OFF THE BATHROOMS.
I HAD TO FINISH THIS OFF I FITTED ALL THE MOSAICS AFTER PRIMER WAS APPLIED TO THE WALLS.THEN I HAD TO FINISH THE BOTTOM ROW OF 300X600 PORCILINE TILES TO THE WALLS THAY HAD DONE ,WE FINISHED OUR TILING AT THE BOTTOM AND TOP OF THE WALLS THAY LEFT AGAIN WE USED PRIMER BEFORE HAND, THE CLIENT NOTICED SOME OF THE GAPS ON THE TILES THE PREVIOUS TILERS HAD FITTED WERE SLIGHTLY DIFFRENT WE AGREED TO ALTER THESE TILES FOR THE CLIENT, THE CLIENT WAS STANDING WITH US WHEN WE REMOVED ONE THE TILES AND IT JUST POPPED OFF WITH NO FORCE NEEDED ,FUTHER INSPECTION OF THIS REVELED THE TILIERS HAD USED PVA AND THE PLASTER WAS SHINEY THE ADHISIVE HAD NOT STUCK TO THE WALL AT ALL,NEEDLESS TO SAY THE CLIENT WAS NOT HAPPY AT ALL ,HE DECIEDED TO CALL THE PREVIOUS TILERS BACK ,
THAY DONE THE RIGHT THING AND COME BACK TO THE JOB (I WAS SHOCKED THAY TURNED UP).THAY SAID THAY WOULD REPLACE THE LOSE ONES ,THE CLIENT ASKED FOR OUR ADVISE AND IF WE COULD SPEAK TO THE TILERS ON BEHALF OF THE CLIENT WITH THE CLIENT THERE.
WE DID THIS AND WE SHOWED THEM THAT ALL OUR TILES WE HAD FITTED BOTH ON OUR WALLS AND THE WALLS THAY LEFT WERE SOUND AND SOLID.
ANYWAY THAY HAD TO ROMOVE ALL THE TILES IN BETWEEN THA ONES WE FITTED.
THEN THAY TRIED TO MAKE EXCUSSES AND SAID WE NO WHAT THE PROBLEM IS ,OUR EARS PRICKED UP AS WE THOUGHT WOW ,THEN THAY SAID IT MUST BE A BAD BATCH OF ADHISIVE ARGHHHHHHHHHH ,I WAS NOT HAPPY WITH THIS THOUGHT AS NOW THAY WANTED TO CHARGE THE CLIENT FOR MORE ADHISEVE THAY HAD BEEN USING NICOBOND ,
WE HAVE DONE LOADS OF TILING IN THIS HOUSE FOR THE CLIENT AND HAVE HAD NO PROPS WITH THEM AND THAY LOVE THE WET ROOMS WE HAVE DONE AND ALL THE FLOORS ,THIS WHEN I ASKED THE TILERS IF THAY PRIMED THE WALLS THE REPLY WAS (YER MATE COUSE WE AVE MATE ),I SAID WHAT WITH HIS REPLY WAS (F ING UNIBOND MATE )I NEW THIS OF COURSE I TOLD THEM U MUST USE THE PRIMER THAT IS WHY THE TILES YOU HAVE FITTED ARE FALLING OF THE WALL AND OURS ARE SOLID ,THAY SAID YER WE DONT USE THAT S--T STUFF, THERE U GO NO TELLING SOME PEOPLE ,I HAVE INFORMED THE CLIENT HE ASKED AS IF WE COULD TAKE THIS OVER AS WELL ,AS HE HAS NO TRUST WITH THEM ,WE CANT AS WE DONT HAVE TIME
ANYWAY THE MORAL OF THE STORY IS PLEASE USE PRIMER......BIT LONG WINDED BUT I GOT THERE IN THE END .SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING BUT I AM A TILER NOT A TYPIST. THANKS:thumbsup:

B

Bartlett

i have said this before,i know tilers who swear by pva and wont listen to a word you try and say to them regarding creating a barrier between tile and substrate and just laugh...what do we know.:prrr:

Yes, I'm only just past 'novice tiler' stage but already I've met a few tilers 'who have always PVA and always will, cos it's never been a problem.'

P

pt44

my first post on here and its confession time!!

I have ALWAYS pva'd at around 6 to 1 before any tiling i've done.

But after sitting here reading every single post on this thread and my heart has sank like the titanic:yikes:

Cue the sleepless nights worrying about all those tiles i've layed over the years:oops:

The really big question is - how many of those tiles are still up and still fine? Have you actually had to go back to any of those jobs, to repair them? Perhaps the tiles have all fallen off and the people simply haven't told you, they've just slagged you off to others!

Who knows. I have no doubt that the arguments against PVA are all totally true - however, it does make one wonder, that at the end of the day many many people were using PVA for a long long time before this widespread knowledge of its poor abilities came to light. One would have thought that if it really was so bad - then the problems would have been spotted immediately and it word would have spread like wildfire about it. But it simply didn't (did it?). I'm not sure how long PVA has been used or how long primers have been about, but it does seem strange to me that from my poor knowledge of it, PVA was used for a long time.

In no way am I recommending using it - just commenting on what I see.

Paul

J

jimbob

I've just had my bathroom plastered, let it dry for a couple of weeks, and then went over it last week with a weak (7-1) coat of Evostick waterproof PVA. I've spent all week painting it!

I don't intend tiling all of it, just around the bath, so will it be ok just to sand the relevant area down before tiling, to try to remove the PVA, or is some other prep required?

Cheers!

N

nhgfc

here's a question for you all...

I've removed a laminate floor at my house as it was always spreading at a certain joint and im sick of "jump & sliding" it back together. Dont tell me you dont know the jump and slide "move" cos i know you do!!:thumbsup:

anyway, the reason it kept popping at that certain part was down to the gargantuan drop the bitchumen/ashphalt floor suffers at that point. I intended to self level and tile, but after ringing BAL technical this afternoon to find out the best primer (not PVA) to use on Bitchumen, only to be told they dont recommend doing anything with bitchumen other than removing it completely.

Removal is not an option as this was poured in and floated in when i bought the house (built circu 1927) to act as a damp proof barrier. Its not a thin layer originally used to fix vinyl tiles etc, im sure you will all know what i mean?

So whats my options here? I've been and bought BAL Bond but im at pains to just go ahead and use it without asking first. I intend to tile the floor in the end by the way.

D

DHTiling

here's a question for you all...

I've removed a laminate floor at my house as it was always spreading at a certain joint and im sick of "jump & sliding" it back together. Dont tell me you dont know the jump and slide "move" cos i know you do!!:thumbsup:

anyway, the reason it kept popping at that certain part was down to the gargantuan drop the bitchumen/ashphalt floor suffers at that point. I intended to self level and tile, but after ringing BAL technical this afternoon to find out the best primer (not PVA) to use on Bitchumen, only to be told they dont recommend doing anything with bitchumen other than removing it completely.

Removal is not an option as this was poured in and floated in when i bought the house (built circu 1927) to act as a damp proof barrier. Its not a thin layer originally used to fix vinyl tiles etc, im sure you will all know what i mean?

So whats my options here? I've been and bought BAL Bond but im at pains to just go ahead and use it without asking first. I intend to tile the floor in the end by the way.

PCI do a self adhesive bitumen faced membrane which is fleeced on the side you tile..perfect for sticking to bitchumen...:thumbsup:

R

Roscoepeko

Blimey, i am the untrained but have used PVA at home and wont use again - i do have a litre of tilers primer unopened which i thought was just rebranded pva !!

Now I have a garage floor to sort out it has never been treated painted sealed primed PVA'd ect. and went out and bought a big tub of pva to put on to "seal?" it whilst i decide weather to use an epoxy type paint or standard garage floor paint - one manufacturer of the epoxy says not to pva and now i can see why ! ....but would Palace tilers primer (the 1l unopened bottle) be a suitable product to put down as a temp fix and then paint at a later date?

Sorry if painting is offtopic on a tiling forum

Reply to Pva Versus Primers | Always Use A Primer When Tiling, And Not Pva in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

PVA V PRIMERS – WHy you should never use PVA Glue when Wall Tiling Don’t listen to that idiot...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
So I may have done an oopsie. We are putting self-levelling compound down over floor where I...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, I'm about to lay some antique 6"x6"x 0.5" ceramic tiles, all clean and dry, onto...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.