Discuss Remove plinths for tiling a floor? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Why not lay the tile down next to plinth add 5mm for adhesive/2mm gap for silicone then cut them off with a multi master if you have one?

I wouldn't suggest cutting plinths from the bottom. The case edge will have a laminate face. Doing as you suggest will expose the chipwood or MDF Material. You then have the issue of water ingress anytime you mop the floor or spill liquid.

Tile up to and you save the integrity of the board.

C

Colour Republic

Leave it up to the client,i tile and that's it cosmetic issues I leave to their choice if they want to get kick boards cut down to suit give them the option of a joiner,when you deviate from your trade that's when problems happen in my personal experience.

I disagree. If it's something a trade comes up against a lot then they should be able to do it as part of the service. In my mind a tiler should be able to disconnect a toilet and put it back in... cut some kickerboards down... patch plaster the odd bit of wall. It's not as if these aren't daily occurrences which tilers come up against and these basic jobs aren't rocket science!

Back on these kickerboards that won't budge... is it a very old kitchen? or a bespoke hand made one? if neither then they really should just pop off as they should be on clips.

As for tiling up to them, personally I hate that look and it is always useful to be able to remove kickerboards... also before you do go blindly tiling up to them, please open all the cupboards to make sure there are no integrated appliances which will never come out again if you do!

T

trevortine

I disagree. If it's something a trade comes up against a lot then they should be able to do it as part of the service. In my mind a tiler should be able to disconnect a toilet and put it back in... cut some kickerboards down... patch plaster the odd bit of wall. It's not as if these aren't daily occurrences which tilers come up against and these basic jobs aren't rocket science!

Back on these kickerboards that won't budge... is it a very old kitchen? or a bespoke hand made one? if neither then they really should just pop off as they should be on clips.

As for tiling up to them, personally I hate that look and it is always useful to be able to remove kickerboards... also before you do go blindly tiling up to them, please open all the cupboards to make sure there are no integrated appliances which will never come out again if you do!
Yup, the correct answer! Handy tip for pulling them off is using tile sucker on them. Personally never leave them on, such a neater finish tiling under and trimming.

mz30

TF
Arms
liverpool
You are both missing my point ,I think? I will always remove them but will ask the client if they have a joiner who will cut them down if needed,i tile and will give advice on the best finish,don't know about you guys but I wouldn't make myself liable for cutting down kickboards etc am a tiler not a joiner ,as for taking out toilets etc once you do that your liable for any leaks etc,i have learnt that your best not getting involved with other stuff,but if you do full refits then its par for the course

and i dont agree with you Colour Republic,a tiler is a tiler and should be fixing tiles,an odd jobber is one that thinks they can do the lot but has no real trade,myself i am a tiler and that is what i do ,but back to the question asked ,i would give the customer the choice of having them cut down or tile up to them,better to have them cut down imo if there are pipea behind them that may need to be got at, no offence meant with my comment but there are to many people trying to do other trades jobs and in the end the customer ends up paying a lot morein the long run ,and in a lot of cases abotched job to go with it ,i have looked at two of theese jobs today done by a jack of all trades

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester

I don't do any of that ,because im not insured for it, however I can recommend a plumber, a carpenter and a plasterer....every man to there own trade...:smilewinkgrin:

M

m3fitter

remove plinths....100%... its a bodge and cowboyish to see a groutjoint next to plinths... apply yourself, its not hard..think of the recommends not the immediate money, we offer a service.. the tiler who doesn't take out an existing w.c and basin to tile underneath, replumb and re install, isn't offering the full service, however you wanna look at it.... that's why recessions are good, they sort out the tradesmnen from the cowboy chancers... this job isn't textbook, I do this, and not that.. its I can sort this out as I want to, for their sake and mine longterm, think about it.... the longterm survivors and people not short of work ever, think like this.. if not carry on.. keep seeking new business.. make it harder longterm for yourself.. its a plinth.. its a door.. think of the bigger picture !

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Remove plinths for tiling a floor? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We have to lift a section of floor in the kitchen and would like to replace with the...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB