UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Shower enclosure problems in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jay

could be

Siliconing2.jpg

M

Mike

I've looked at the photo's a few times over and i have to ask the question. The tiles are cut down to the tray aren't they? Or were the walls done first and the tray pushed into the corner? The photo to, unless it's my eyes playing me up looks like it's the later.
the tray was fitted first but the op has said the tiles were cut tight to the tray so no gap for silicon to get in

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
577055 said:

Have i got this right, all the red arrows etc are dry areas? Yet it gets wet on the floor outside the tray where the wall meets the floor? Looking at the left hand side/corner in the picture above you can almost distinguish the rounded corner of the tray mould.

I'd place a small wager on the walls and possibly floor being tiled first and the tray being puched into the corner and sealed. Waters running into the crase around the tray inside the enclosure and seeping ot between the tray and tiled wall.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
the tray was fitted first but the op has said the tiles were cut tight to the tray so no gap for silicon to get in

I just saw your reply Mike after i posted the reply above. I'm not convinced. I can't see anyway of water getting out the cubicle without coming through any of the sealant. He says from the picture that all his silicone is dry. Head scratcher....

Was the walls grouted before the enclosure went up, or after the enclosure went up??

S

Sedated

Thanks for all the replys.
The tray went down first then tiled up to it, walls and floor.
That is not water on the outside of the tray its a reflection.
Im sure now that water is getting behind the frame into the upright area and coming through the wall there. The gap between tiled wall and tray was very small, probably less than a millimeter and I think with the tray flexing its broke the seal and water is finding its way behind the tile and showing on the floor through the grout.

Inside
DSCF2316-3.jpg

Outside
DSCF2330.jpg

S

Sedated

was the sower tray sealed before the door went on like there was some times its not sealed under the frame

The first time the frame went up there was no siliconing between the tiles and tray. leaving the bit behind the upright open after siliconing inside between tiles and tray.
Got fitter back to take out shower then sealed that bit behind upright. But because the gap was less than 1mm I think it has failed.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
You know when you get something stuck in your head and you won't be able to forget about it until you've solved the problem? I'm like that with this....

You do not need to seel the enclosure to tray inside the cubicle, most manufactures instructions will specifically tell you not to. If you sealled both sides and water did get through the inner seal you'd have a water trap all under the enclosure.
The installer should of run a continual bead of silicone on the upright fixings before pluggin and screwing them to the wall. I find it best to run two continuous beads parallel with one another.
Understanding the tiles are cut a little close to the tray i can still see from the picture sealant between tray and tile that has spread well enough to cover the 1mm gap you mention. This should be sufficient in anycase.
What is the tray made of? All though you can't see much of the bathroom in the photos the tiles used, and in particular the enclosure looks to be of good quality. I would presume that a stone resin tray was used? This shouldn't flex at all. The tray's right on the floor so if the floor is allowing a stone resin tray to flex i'd start getting concerned about the floor tiling! So i don't think it's your tray moving.
Lastly, and this is the real head scratcher. In the photos you indicate in red that the areas there are dry? Particularly where the tray meets the tiles on the OUTSIDE of the enclosure. If these areas are dry when the water is pooling on your floor then i would be 99.99% certain your looking in the wrong place for your leak. It won't be coming from the enclosure.

Take a friend and a torch into your bathroom. One of you spray water on the into the corner working from bottom to top. The other, with the lights off look for water running outside the enclosure with the torch (trust me you'll find the smallest drip doing it this way).
Once you've found it (if it's the enclosure) strip back a good amount of the sealant and leave to dry out for 24 hours. Then re-seal.

Hope that helps. Good luck

S

Sedated

The first time the fitter fit the uprights without any sealant at all behind. Obviously this let out water exactly just like it is doing now.
I got him back to take down the enclosure. Once it was cleaned up and dry I filled the small gap behind where the uprights were going. The Enclosure then went back on, I then resealed the shower as before. The leak I have now is the same place as where it leaked when there was no silicone behind uprights. I think that as the gap I have filled behind the uprights was such a small gap the slightest movement has caused the seal to fail. Or the fitter disturbed the sealant putting the cubical back on? How much exactly would 1mm or less of silicone sealant stretch?

So Im sure the water is finding its way out behind the upright then behind a tile and making its way out at floor level.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Shower enclosure problems in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, We're currently adding an en-suite to a downstairs bedroom, everything is going well so far...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
I could use some help from everyone! The floor mosaic tile was recently retiled over a tile-redi...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.