UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Shower enclosure problems in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Sedated

I still think the shower is failing behind the channel
The fellas who fitted the shower came back and let the shower run for about 5 mins.
Whilst the shower was running they kept saying that the channel behind the enclosure had silicone on, yes it had as I had done it. (As previously stated the gap between the shower tray and tiles was super small less than a millimeter in some places, to me that’s not a big enough expansion gap). They then fit the uprights placing a blob of silicone on the bottom of them before fixing to the wall. so they reckon that they had fitted as per usuall.
They argued this over and over, at one point more or less saying that I must have been pointing the shower head at that area to prove a point and not really showering! And that I made it leak on pourpouse. I only directly aimed the shower head on that corner once to see where it was leaking from. Anyway if it was sealed propper why would water come out there?
I do think that with the tray slightly flexing with use, a small expansion gap and maybe them disturbing silicone by refitting shower)
…., anyway guess what happened , water appeared outside the shower.

They refuse to take it down and ask that I get a couple of plumbers in to take a look and they will foot the bill. If I get plumbers in they wont see anything anyway and it will be a case of having the shower ripped out, and I think that will jeopardise the seals on the glass and the rest of the joints on the shower enclosure. It is a prebuilt enclosure and the first time they took it out it required force I don’t think it would take much more of the same.
They also suggested getting the manufacturers involved as water could be getting through the glass seals and making its way out via shower frame!. But again even if water was getting into the shower frame then water should not breach the silicone seal in the upright channel that they swear time and time again is adiquate.

Dunno what to do, fed up!

Last edited by a moderator:

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
The fitter did suggest I silicone this bit (blue) but surely the water will get in further down (Where red arrow is pointing) , and still find its way into the wall? Following the path of the red arrows. Is this bad advise?
DSCF2316-2.jpg
howdo,
i know someone said not to silicone around there,but aint you meant to sit this part of the frame on a blob of silicone as you fix it to the wall,so siliconing there shouldent matter ?
personally id say its leaking throuth that point,the wall tile when cut around the tray has not been siliconed and there is a gap and the water is sucking under the frame leg going through the gap and wetting behind the tiles. me,id seal it where the blue is and see if that works,easy enough to take off after:thumbsup::thumbsup:

J

jay

I still think the shower is failing behind the channel
The fellas who fitted the shower came back and let the shower run for about 5 mins.
Whilst the shower was running they kept saying that the channel behind the enclosure had silicone on, yes it had as I had done it. (As previously stated the gap between the shower tray and tiles was super small less than a millimeter in some places, to me that’s not a big enough expansion gap). They then fit the uprights placing a blob of silicone on the bottom of them before fixing to the wall. so they reckon that they had fitted as per usuall.
They argued this over and over, at one point more or less saying that I must have been pointing the shower head at that area to prove a point and not really showering! And that I made it leak on pourpouse. I only directly aimed the shower head on that corner once to see where it was leaking from. Anyway if it was sealed propper why would water come out there?
I do think that with the tray slightly flexing with use, a small expansion gap and maybe them disturbing silicone by refitting shower)
…., anyway guess what happened , water appeared outside the shower.

They refuse to take it down and ask that I get a couple of plumbers in to take a look and they will foot the bill. If I get plumbers in they wont see anything anyway and it will be a case of having the shower ripped out, and I think that will jeopardise the seals on the glass and the rest of the joints on the shower enclosure. It is a prebuilt enclosure and the first time they took it out it required force I don’t think it would take much more of the same.
They also suggested getting the manufacturers involved as water could be getting through the glass seals and making its way out via shower frame!. But again even if water was getting into the shower frame then water should not breach the silicone seal in the upright channel that they swear time and time again is adiquate.

Dunno what to do, fed up!

so if im reading this right you ran the shower not directed at the screen and it leaked

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Have you taken a friend into the shower with you ike i suggested?
6 pages and you haven't actually found the leak yet. If you spray your shower head directly at the corner and water pools outside the enclosure you must be able to see where it comes from. It will trickle, it will flow, but you may have to get on your hands and knees to find it. Again if water directed at the corner pools outside it's more than likely it hasn't been installed correctly and sealed correctly. This is your plumbers responsability, ultimately the shower enclosure as it's fitted now is not fit for purpose. Get the plumbers back and demand they fit it correctly. Ultimately, if it was, you wouldn't have a puddle on your bathroom floor.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Shower enclosure problems in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, We're currently adding an en-suite to a downstairs bedroom, everything is going well so far...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
I could use some help from everyone! The floor mosaic tile was recently retiled over a tile-redi...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.