UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Shower enclosure problems in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Sedated

Your fitter didn't seal behind the upright structures of a "shower" enclosure? Wouldn't call him a bathroom fitter then.

Have done what i said in my last post? If so did you spot any water coming through the sealant?

I directly pointed shower head at corner blasted away and sure enough the water appeared outside through grout. No water on silicone seal or anywhere else on outside of shower tested with tissue.

S

Sedated

So with all things weighed up I think that...
The first time they fit the shower enclosure tthey didnt put the secondary seal around the tray prior to uprights going in, as shown in the picture below (Which is part of the PDF from the bathstore regarding my shower tray!) . Even if they didnt go around all the tray they should have definatly done behind the uprights.
Capture-3.jpg

& to make things worse they have put the wall tiles far to close to the shower tray so that the sealant cannot stretch as it should in the small gap behind the uprights.
Its OK on the bit that is exposed inside the shower the tiles to tray as I could put plenty on and overlap tray and tiles. but for behind the uprights I couldnt overlap as much, as the uprights would, and indead probably have, disturbed the silicone there.
Also they "Buttered" the tiles rather than spreading adhesive on the walls so that will leave spacees behind the tiles!
Not looking good is it.
Anyhow thanks for all the replys guys...Appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sedated

Mike, Yes the gap between the floor tiles and wall tiles should be siliconed but TBH if it was so then i wouldnt see the water leaking out and I'd be oblivious to this!

I sprayed the shower head here
DSCF2316-1.jpg

There is only 1mm of gap at the most between the tiles on wall and all around the tray so its hard to get any substantial bits of silicone where the uprights go, as said previously I think that as the gap I have filled behind the uprights was such a small gap the slightest movement has caused the seal to fail. ? I coldnt put a big blob on as the fitter put the u shaped fixing right down to the bottom of the tiles, infact it was resting on the tray.Perhaps the fitter disturbed or scraped the sealant putting the cubical back on?

Last edited by a moderator:

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
i think he means can you take a picture of the enclosure as a whole and the installed shower as well??

Yep.

From everything that has been said and described over this post i'm not convinced it's coming through the tile round the back and out onto the floor. If your insisting the silicone on the outside of the enclosure is dry when this happens then it may be a plumbing issue from say the shower.

Reply to Shower enclosure problems in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, We're currently adding an en-suite to a downstairs bedroom, everything is going well so far...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
I could use some help from everyone! The floor mosaic tile was recently retiled over a tile-redi...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.