Discuss Shower from hell in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

gixer

Hi all newbie here so take it easy on me :smilewinkgrin:

Ok so just ripped out an existing shower , it had recentlystarted leaking through to downstairs . Originally done by a " proper " tiler , so thought to myself , with the right advice , i think i could do a better job myself .
This is were you guys come in :thumbsup:
I will try and stage my questions as work progresses rather than bombard everyone with 101 questions right at the start .
So to start the floor needs re-tiled , slight bit of water damage on existing chipboard floor .
Am i better to lift and replace whole floor with WBP ply and treat the ply with Bal bond SBR ? bathroom pics 001.jpg bathroom pics 002.jpg

I have attached a couple of pics which i hope will help

Many thanks Gixer

G

gixer

Many thanks for the informative replies guys , whilst waiting for my first post to activate i went ahead and started to lift a small portion of the floor to aid the drying out process bathroom pics 003.jpg bathroom pics 004.jpg bathroom pics 005.jpg As you can see the old shower made quite a mess .

So to recap next step lift entire floor (as chipboard should probably never been used in a shower room in the first place) replace with 18mm wbp ply , treat underside and edges with Bal bond sbr , then some 6mm hardieback board stuck on top of the ply with tile adhesive and screwed .....
Now i have exposed the joists do i still need extra noggins ???

Thanks again Gixer

Last edited by a moderator:
G

gixer

Ok guys , so i have my new ply screwed down and primed underside and edges .
Do i need to apply SBR primer to topside of ply before putting my cement board down ?
Problem no 2 is the cement board , when i asked local builder merchants they hadnt heard of it or didnt stock it .I did manage to find one that got some in for me but i,m concerned it may not be the right stuff , it is white in colour and looks more an asbestos replacement board . One side is shiny and one side has a bit of texture , it is called resistant multi pro , and the merchant said it is water proof .
Your thoughts very much appreciated .

Regards Gixer

G

gixer

Quick update on my wee project ... phoned cement board manufacturer who said the board i have is the same as their Moist-sure board only they cut it into smaller sizes for convenience .
So proceeded with putting my boards down.. View attachment 31363 View attachment 31364 So tomorrows project is to fit 12mm cement board to the one stud wall .
On the other solid wall should i be stripping off the existing render even though i propose to tank both these walls ?

Other question is when fitting the shower tray ( which i presume needs done prior to tiling the floor ) is there a better way to raise the shower tray other than wooden studs ?

Thanks in advance Gixer
So View attachment 31365

G

Gazebo

Hi you can raise a shower tray with an upstand kit (easy plumb kit) but these are usually dedicated to each specific tray.

Some are just plastic leg sets that slot in to pre made holes on the underside of the tray, some are pieces of ply wood with legs screwed to the underside of ply, some are made of box section steel and you assemble them yourself(bathstore).

you could just cut yourself a template of the underside of the tray from 18mm wbp and screw adjustable legs (kitchen base unit legs work.)to the ply. if you do this be sure to leave the ply slightly shy of the exposed edge of the tray so your tile can sit flush to the underside of the tray if you are tiling the upstand that is.

G

gixer

Hi you can raise a shower tray with an upstand kit (easy plumb kit) but these are usually dedicated to each specific tray.

Some are just plastic leg sets that slot in to pre made holes on the underside of the tray, some are pieces of ply wood with legs screwed to the underside of ply, some are made of box section steel and you assemble them yourself(bathstore).

you could just cut yourself a template of the underside of the tray from 18mm wbp and screw adjustable legs (kitchen base unit legs work.)to the ply. if you do this be sure to leave the ply slightly shy of the exposed edge of the tray so your tile can sit flush to the underside of the tray if you are tiling the upstand that is.

Thanks Gazebo for the info , After reading the fitting instructions for the tray it appears they do a leg set and panel kit but after phoning the supplier they dont have any in stock and would have to order one in for me . This would hold the job back as i wouldnt be able to tile the floor , Or could i tile right in below the tray as i think i have enough tiles .???
Also if i ran with your idea of ply/kitchen unit legs , what would be the best way of sticking the plyto the underside of the tray ???

Thanks once again Gixer

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Shower from hell in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
F
Good evening all. I need to tile the kitchen floor over the bank holiday weekend. We are having...
Replies
Views
Futuregrout
F
D
Hi Thanks to all who provided advice on my bathroom project 3 years ago, tiling both the...
Replies
Views
swanman
S
E
Hi, Upstairs ensuite with T&G floorboards. Entire floor overboarded with WBP ply. Area under...
Replies
Views
K
Hi, I've been getting conflicting advice about whether I should put a DPM behind the marine ply...
Replies
Views
Kester Ratcliff
K

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Shower from hell
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.