UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Small Holes in Top of Replica Flagstones in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

AndyH747

Hi all,

Looking for some advice on a problem with some replica flagstones installed in our new kitchen. We purchased the flagstones from this company who are local to us:
Farmhouse Flagstones suppliers of handcrafted traditional flagstones, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire.
They are a replica limestone flagstone made from concrete with a resin top to resemble authentic flagstones.
After they were laid we starting noticing small holes opening up on the surface of the flagstones. I knew to expect small pin holes but some of these are getting quite large (1-2mm) in diameter and are increasing in number. On closer inspection, if you tap around the holes, you can see the resin falling away inside. This suggests that the resin top has air bubbles which are now showing with traffic moving on the floor surface and breaking the surface of each bubble.
My question is whether these holes are normal for this type of flagstone, how much worse should it get and why it isn't evident on all the flagstones. Some of the flagstones have none while others have many.
Any advice would be much appreciated before I take further action. The company concerned have refused to examine the floor and claim air bubbles are perfectly normal and there's nothing they can do about it.

A

AndyH747

OK have uploaded four photos. Hope they are clear enough and show the problem.
Any thoughts on this now you can see the issue?

IMG_4096-002.JPG IMG_4097-002.JPG IMG_4098-002.JPG IMG_4099-002.JPG

A

AndyH747

If "they" are saying air bubbles are normal then maybe "they" should have pointed this out before you bought this stuff.
Either way you are left with a floor that doesnt look how you wanted.
My only positive contribution to this would be to suggest a resin filler to match replica.

They didn't point it out and we didn't notice in the showroom. However I didn't get down on my hands and knees to examine them!

Where would I get the resin to fill the holes?

Al@Lifetiles

TF
Arms
Trimline Innovation - Home
This is where i get my various stone resins from.
They come in White, Straw etc. these can be mixed to get a match to the flags.
They come with an hardener.
With marble these resins are allowed to cure then polished back. Cant say ive ever come across these replicas though.
Trying to fill the holes may negate any chance you had of having the whole thing replaced though. Also it may not polish back brilliantly but i have no other suggestions.
Good luck.

P

Pebbs

This is totally unacceptable, even if the holes are resin filled, there could be more popping up in the future. Ive never had a composite or replica floor with this type of problems. The first step is to send a letter, stating that you were never informed of such 'occurrences' and they should spring into action, when you write these little words....

You are more than welcome to inspect the said floor supplied by your company, and rectify the defects accordingly, and bring this matter to a satisfactory conclusion. However should you not be attending or contacting me to discuss this, then I have to inform you I will be taking legal action.

Send the letter recorded post, please by law they have to be given a chance to rectify the problem. Also did you pay by credit card? you have a legal right to dispute the payment for substandard goods supplied.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Pebbs

A

AndyH747

This is totally unacceptable, even if the holes are resin filled, there could be more popping up in the future. Ive never had a composite or replica floor with this type of problems. The first step is to send a letter, stating that you were never informed of such 'occurrences' and they should spring into action, when you write these little words....

You are more than welcome to inspect the said floor supplied by your company, and rectify the defects accordingly, and bring this matter to a satisfactory conclusion. However should you not be attending or contacting me to discuss this, then I have to inform you I will be taking legal action.

Send the letter recorded post, please by law they have to be given a chance to rectify the problem. Also did you pay by credit card? you have a legal right to dispute the payment for substandard goods supplied.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Pebbs

Many thanks for the reply and information. I was intending to write a letter giving them a chance to rectify. I thought it would add more weight to my argument if I had a professional independent report outlining the problem.

Unfortunately we didn't pay by CC. Otherwise I'd have gone straight for Consumer Credit Act protection.

It's extremely annoying as we've spent a lot of money on the kitchen and this is our first new build. We've spent a lot of time getting everything right and apart from the floor, the kitchen is pretty much perfect. It's enough to make you sick really and this type of customer service is just appalling. I hope others stay well clear of this company. I've linked to their website in my first post.

A

AndyH747

Just an update and some further advice if possible.

We've now sent two letters to the company and didn't get a response to the first. In the second letter I outlined that we would be taking legal action. The proprietor of Farmhouse Flagstones has responded with a very emotional email stating that his flagstones are of the highest quality and that the air holes are completely normal. We've had someone independent go to his showroom and examine the displays. There is evidence of small air holes in the flagstones but they are very small. Ours are large, and growing in number and size as foot traffic proceeds over the floor. We also have some stones with over twenty individual holes in the surface.

He has claimed his flagstones are manufactured to British standards and were vibrated on a bed for the minimum recommended time of 60secs. He also states that it is impossible to remove all air from any precast product and that these air holes are normal. Has anyone got any definitive information on what BS standards would apply here?

We are now formulating a case to take to the small claims court but having factual information on any standards that these flagstones should meet would be helpful.

He is still refusing to even examine the floor even though his worksop is only 15 minutes away!

Reply to Small Holes in Top of Replica Flagstones in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

G
Hi, We had a partial wet room installed in our first floor bathroom over 3 years ago by a...
Replies
Views
Gemma
G
M
Hi all Interested in views from the trade world about how I should deal with a big floor tiling...
2 3 4 5
Replies
Views
D
At 365Drills we are always improving and this year (2012) we turn our attention to the most...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I'm new to here but have picked up some good information from other threads but need a...
Replies
Views
Gazzer
G
C
Wet Vs Dry polishing, which is better? We get asked this daily. There is really no definitive...
Replies
Views
Turkish tiler
T

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.