Discuss Substrate Raising in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I love the passion we have for our jobs in life. But it's really all nothing in the grand scheme of things.

050816_milky_way_02.jpg

This is the sun. Our sun, as we know it. You can't even see it in this image that is an artists impression of what just our one galaxy is possibly like. We don't know what it actually looks like because we've got nothing that can see in. The sun is in one spiral 'arm' of many. And tech we fired out in the 60's wouldn't have eve reached the edge of that one spiral arm.

Let's not fall out over a floor today.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Youre right Dan.

Forget the testing Ray I know the compressive and flexural strength of our screeds so don't need you to test them for me. We already do that on a daily basis. You have you're opinions and I mine. We are both entitled to them and if they differ well it perhaps adds to the rich tapestry that is life.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

I love the passion we have for our jobs in life. But it's really all nothing in the grand scheme of things.

View attachment 73311

This is the sun. Our sun, as we know it. You can't even see it in this image that is an artists impression of what just our one galaxy is possibly like. We don't know what it actually looks like because we've got nothing that can see in. The sun is in one spiral 'arm' of many. And tech we fired out in the 60's wouldn't have eve reached the edge of that one spiral arm.

Let's not fall out over a floor today.
well there some think here i am working on here will blow the tile world away .and at the end of the day only the truth and nothing but the truth can be proved .i will never fall out with any body who drives me to the truth they can only stand as my heroes by making me think

R

Youre right Dan.

Forget the testing Ray I know the compressive and flexural strength of our screeds so don't need you to test them for me. We already do that on a daily basis. You have you're opinions and I mine. We are both entitled to them and if they differ well it perhaps adds to the rich tapestry that is life.
ok i will do my test with a 10mm tile and a 4,8mm and test from the tile and the screed .do the same and test the added strenght the tiles give your screed .why would you not want to know the answer it should give you a great selling point .every day is a leaning day for me make it the same for you

R

have been very busy today tilling giving glass a run for its money won hands down should finish tomorrow if left alone .and post some pics .but then i will move on to the test of screed and the tile strenght added if any one out there is going to be on site while an anhydrite screed is being laid could you send me a sample 25mm d 50mm w 150mm L it does not mater if they a bigger i can cut them down but it would not be ufair of me not to include these i would like four peices if poss or one lump i can cut down i will have them picked up or pay for postage or if you bring them in i will give you the best thin tile cutter in the world for free and train you on using it .we can all learen from this .thanks for your help in helping tiling move forward

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
But Ray the tile does not add to the strength of the screed. It merely add an element that might act compositely with the screed but each element remains unchanged. Sort of like the whole is more than the sum of the parts.

When testing flexural strength of screeds which is the important bit really we use prisms of 40mm x 40mm x 150mm which is the european standard test method, so testing a 25mm piece would not really tell us anything very useful. Compressive strength is less important as its generally over engineered, but as a rule we work to a minimum Ca-C25-F4 on standard mixes and on specials up to CA-C35-F7. The samples should be cast rather than cut from a lump as it is generally impossible to guarantee that the cutting process does not fracture the screed and the size can never be as accurate. the standard that we work to is BS-EN 13454 and BS-EN-13813 and are certified to ISO9001 and CE accredited. TS -15 and TS -20 have been independently tested for in situ crushing strength by Aston Services and meet the requirements for Category A when laid bonded or unbonded and the strengths are CA-C30-F5 and Ca-C35-F6 respectively. Our TimBRE product is independently tested by TestConsult Ltd for use on a timber substrate and our diamond screed (polished system) is independently tested by Warwick University. Our standard products are tested on a daily basis during manufacture using a quality assured testing regime. They are tested for setting time, strengths and a number of other factors which are not relevant to tiles and we carry out probably several hundred tests every week. We use statistical process control methods and have the only fully temperature and humidity controlled laboratory in the UK. We have carried out all sorts of other testing in house and externally over the years in order to ensure that the products we make not only meet the standards that are set for them but also that they exceed the fitness for purpose requirements that the industry sets in terms of deliverability, usability and robustness By all means carry out your tests but really you cant tell us anything that we don't probably already know and unless it is carried out in a manner that is standard, repeatable and can be compared to normative testing then it is pretty meaningless. You can buy a bag of Sureflow screed which is a Gypsol screed from CCF if you like and make your own samples. I can say with absolute confidence though that a sand cement screed hand laid and hand compacted is rarely if ever going to have as higher flexural or compressive strength as a self compacting anhydrite screed, tile or no tile.

R

But Ray the tile does not add to the strength of the screed. It merely add an element that might act compositely with the screed but each element remains unchanged. Sort of like the whole is more than the sum of the parts.

When testing flexural strength of screeds which is the important bit really we use prisms of 40mm x 40mm x 150mm which is the european standard test method, so testing a 25mm piece would not really tell us anything very useful. Compressive strength is less important as its generally over engineered, but as a rule we work to a minimum Ca-C25-F4 on standard mixes and on specials up to CA-C35-F7. The samples should be cast rather than cut from a lump as it is generally impossible to guarantee that the cutting process does not fracture the screed and the size can never be as accurate. the standard that we work to is BS-EN 13454 and BS-EN-13813 and are certified to ISO9001 and CE accredited. TS -15 and TS -20 have been independently tested for in situ crushing strength by Aston Services and meet the requirements for Category A when laid bonded or unbonded and the strengths are CA-C30-F5 and Ca-C35-F6 respectively. Our TimBRE product is independently tested by TestConsult Ltd for use on a timber substrate and our diamond screed (polished system) is independently tested by Warwick University. Our standard products are tested on a daily basis during manufacture using a quality assured testing regime. They are tested for setting time, strengths and a number of other factors which are not relevant to tiles and we carry out probably several hundred tests every week. We use statistical process control methods and have the only fully temperature and humidity controlled laboratory in the UK. We have carried out all sorts of other testing in house and externally over the years in order to ensure that the products we make not only meet the standards that are set for them but also that they exceed the fitness for purpose requirements that the industry sets in terms of deliverability, usability and robustness By all means carry out your tests but really you cant tell us anything that we don't probably already know and unless it is carried out in a manner that is standard, repeatable and can be compared to normative testing then it is pretty meaningless. You can buy a bag of Sureflow screed which is a Gypsol screed from CCF if you like and make your own samples. I can say with absolute confidence though that a sand cement screed hand laid and hand compacted is rarely if ever going to have as higher flexural or compressive strength as a self compacting anhydrite screed, tile or no tile.
ok zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK

Now THAT is what I call testing. And a lab'.
Touché.

*tips hat gentlemanly whilst holding cigar as if pondering

R

Now THAT is what I call testing. And a lab'.
Touché.

*tips hat gentlemanly whilst holding cigar as if pondering
ok i am sitting back hamlet in one hand scotch in the other so let me begin in a gentlemanly way by reading between the lines and and bringing the truth out one by one

1 but the tile does not add strengh
wrong by compacting the screed with the tile and slurey will create a tighter and more compact screed giving greater strenght even if you slide the tile away fact

2 relying on eu standards witch are set to the minimum standard required fact all ways . so they can sell us all there rubbish and pretend it has a standard y

3 you have to carry out several hundred test a week thats what you need to do when you dont know what waste you are using ever day to make your screeds .so the real point here is you dont trust what you are producing .how many do you reject and why .or do you use them again intill they right waste is added ?

4 no test relevant to tiles or tiling carried out after several hundred test would a couple more realy hurt

5 well we all live in a fully controlled temperture humidity house just like your very busy lab .

6 no test carried out for fitness or purpose for tiling so you say

7 and you say i can say with absoulute confidence sand and cement hand laid compacted is rarley if ever going to have higher fleyurall or compressive strengh as self conpacting screed one big oxie morron so in a nut shell you dont realy know
company man all the way

8 i know what works and does not. never been in a lab or read many rules
just worked with tilers who do it every day day in day out they have never been to a lab to .but i would trust them day in day out .

last drag of that hammlet tomorrows anther day

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Substrate Raising in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I'm part re-tiling/plastering a bathroom, which as the pictures show, has masonary to...
Replies
Views
Hello All, First post and hope you can help... I'm looking to have a combination of Tiles and...
Replies
Views
Having read part of the nightmare mosaic thread (and I concur with the comments, shocking) I was...
Replies
Views
F
Good evening all. I need to tile the kitchen floor over the bank holiday weekend. We are having...
Replies
Views
Futuregrout
F
P
Hi. I need a bit of advice about a 95m2 patio I'm due to do in 1200x600 porcelain tiles. The...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB