UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss this is getting ridiculous.. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mike Mike

just been to look at a 20m2 slate floor,rang the tile shop to get prices, find out if slate was calibrated, they said 'wow another one,' , we have had nine tilers quote that job your number ten....:mad2:.....why would someone need ten quotes?......three yes, but ten......you really have to wonder what gose through these peoples heads..

Go round there in the dead of night and burn their house down. :ninja:

M

Mike Mike

not even going waste my time with it...

Put your quote in! For all you know the spotty little herbert down at the tile shop might be lying and only 2 other people have been asked to quote, one of which is giving him a kickback! Stick that quote in and report back if you get it, and if not, on what basis.

p.s. If the customer's name is Mr Patel then the above advice is null and void.

P

Peter

Some idiots about. Had a text at 3 oclock on Saturday afternoon saying "how much u charge for tiling a kitchen". Rang her back and told her I would have a look at it on Monday evening. "Can you not come any sooner?" she asked. Then rang her on Monday, to which she said "I'll ring you back in half an hour", never heard again. You wonder why people waste their own time.

Although with jobs like those, you're usually better off without them.

F

FreeD

Its that time of year m8, I've had loads of timewasters over the last 3 months, moneysupermarket customers, some areas of the city I won't even bother quoting im etting better at rooting them out now, most of the customers you dont want are the ones that mention cost at the end of every sentence when quoting. I always hold out this time of year let those jobs go to the cheap builders when there all busy thats when its time to start making some money.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
When the first question a customer asks is "How much do you charge for......?" you generally know you're up against someone who wants the cheapest price. Where I am working I have been getting my sarnies at a nice deli and got talking to the owner. She wants one of her three bathrooms doing and we got talking about prices. She wants a quality bathroom done cheap. I told her the two words can't possibly fit together in the same sentence. I said it was the last time she would see me cos the sandwich shop down the road sold awful processed chicken sandwiches much cheaper. A sandwich is a sandwich isn't it. Nope, and when I turned up the next day at her shop to get my dinner her look said it all. So there you go. People get what they pay for in the end. Fact.

M

Mike Mike

When the first question a customer asks is "How much do you charge for......?" you generally know you're up against someone who wants the cheapest price. Where I am working I have been getting my sarnies at a nice deli and got talking to the owner. She wants one of her three bathrooms doing and we got talking about prices. She wants a quality bathroom done cheap. I told her the two words can't possibly fit together in the same sentence. I said it was the last time she would see me cos the sandwich shop down the road sold awful processed chicken sandwiches much cheaper. A sandwich is a sandwich isn't it. Nope, and when I turned up the next day at her shop to get my dinner her look said it all. So there you go. People get what they pay for in the end. Fact.

That's true! I bought a Hiilti cordless drill and paid £350 for it. A LOT more than anything from Black and Decker (DeWalt), Makita, or Woolworths own brand, but then you get what you pay for. It really doesn't bother me at all that I could get the same drill shipped direct from China, where they are made, for £51, because I know I am paying quality. :lol:

M

Mike Mike

I got one worse than that, I was quoting to do Gordon Ramsey at One New Change, I rang one supplier who was specified and a good mate, and he said Lynn your going to be wasting your time. I said what do you mean? he said we've sent 32 prices out already to other companies! That was it the quote was slung in the bin, it would have been a kitchen nightmare anyway.

Lynn

Lynn, you wrote "I was quoting to do Gordon Ramsey". What EXACTLY were you quoting to do to him? And if it was anything less than to bludgeon him to death and then set fire to his still warm corpse then I can fully understand why you declined to quote... Hell, if you see any Request to Quotes from him in the future asking to be bludgeoned to death then set on fire, I will come over and do it free of charge, even on a Sunday. I would always find time "to do Gordon Ramsey", I cannot abide that dreadful little man... :ph34r:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Lynn, you wrote "I was quoting to do Gordon Ramsey". What EXACTLY were you quoting to do to him? And if it was anything less than to bludgeon him to death and then set fire to his still warm corpse then I can fully understand why you declined to quote... Hell, if you see any Request to Quotes from him in the future asking to be bludgeoned to death then set on fire, I will come over and do it free of charge, even on a Sunday. I would always find time "to do Gordon Ramsey", I cannot abide that dreadful little man... :ph34r:

What about Heston Bloominannoyingthingythal? Id work on the 8th day to set fire to him :83:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to this is getting ridiculous.. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Although I've been a member for a little while I have just started reading through different...
Replies
Views
StevieBoy
S
Hi All, As ever I am on the recruitment drive as we are now entering an incredibley busy phase...
Replies
Views
D
Ok, so i've been looking into creating a website, as we all know, how important our presence...
Replies
Views
Spare Tool
S
M
Hi all Interested in views from the trade world about how I should deal with a big floor tiling...
2 3 4 5
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.