Discuss Tile Giant Advice..... in the Tile Retail | Tile Buying area at TilersForums.com.

K

kevg

some of the floors I'll be tiling in my new home are ply. After a trip to tile Giant today I was advised that I wont need backer board to lay on top of the ply, just use mapei proflex then tile on top.

I'm certainly not an expert and from what I have been reading and the advise I got from this forum, it made me pretty nervous as I thought I knew what I needed.

I had planned to get some hardie backer and my adhesive would be a mix of keraflex with latext plus.

Is there more than one way to tile onto ply ? Have I been given the correct advice but can choose either the tile giant way or the way I was planning myself ?

T

The D

BS 5385 Code of practice 3.2.4.2
The use of sheets and boards that are subject to movement from changes in moisture content, e.g. wood-based materials such as plywood, chipboard, wood particle boards, etc. should be avoided if at all possible. If such boards have to be used they should be restricted to small areas and tiles should not bridge joints between boards. It is good practice to seal all exposed edges and the backs, but not the faces, of such boards with a suitable sealer to prevent distortion by atmospheric humidity changes. Care should be taken to ensure such boards are not installed in a condition where their moisture content is higher than the ambient equilibrium moisture content once the tiled installation is in use. Failure to observe this can lead to subsequent warping and distortion of the boards with consequent cracking and delamination of the tiling.

Last edited by a moderator:
K

kevg

Depends on the ply and where this ply is laid etc,

The 3 upstairs rooms are 1x bathroom and 2x en-suites.

BS Code of practice 3.2.4.2
The use of sheets and boards that are subject to movement from changes in moisture content, e.g. wood-based materials such as plywood, chipboard, wood particle boards, etc. should be avoided if at all possible. If such boards have to be used they should be restricted to small areas and tiles should not bridge joints between boards. It is good practice to seal all exposed edges and the backs, but not the faces, of such boards with a suitable sealer to prevent distortion by atmospheric humidity changes. Care should be taken to ensure such boards are not installed in a condition where their moisture content is higher than the ambient equilibrium moisture content once the tiled installation is in use. Failure to observe this can lead to subsequent warping and distortion of the boards with consequent cracking and delamination of the tiling.

I'm a simpleton lol. I think that means I should use a backer board ? *insert embarassed smilie here lol*

hi kev,it wouldnt be my choice to tile onto ply in a bathroom i would have gone the cement board route,with keraquik

if you feel youd be safer going the route you wanted to do the follow your instincts as i would choose the same way

That's what I was thinking, but these guys know a hell of a lot more than me, it threw me off guard though. Sometimes when you think what your doing is correct, all it takes if for different advice to put me back to the start.

K

kevg

What size area are the floors? Is the ply the main substrate or has the ply been laid over an existing floor?

I've just been back to the house, it actually looks like its chipboard thats sitting down on top of possibly floor boards ?

IMG_0020.JPG

Room sizes are

En-suite 1 = 2.09m x 1.73m
En-suite 2 = 2.60m x 1.73m
Bathroom = 2.25m x 2.34m

S

Scott

Yes thats chipboard alright and its the older stuff too. Has it got wet anywhere that you can see? Normally outside the sower tray and down the side of the bath, under the basin pedestal and round the bottom of the toilet.
It swells when its wet and goes crumble, the same as weetabix.

It a bit of a mare to change it but it can be done, however if its not got wet then you can overboard it with either a cement backer board or ply. The choice of materil will depend on the amount of deflection in the floors. If there is deflection then you have the option of either overboarding with 15mm minimum ply or removing the chipboard and replacing it with a thicker ply. 18mm upwards.

The backer board option is only really going to work if the floors have no movement. However you can still add them over the ply to provide a more suitable surface for tiling. Of course all that will mean raising the height of the floor somewhat.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tile Giant Advice..... in the Tile Retail | Tile Buying area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi, We're currently adding an en-suite to a downstairs bedroom, everything is going well so far...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Tile Buying Popular Threads

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB