UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss tile spacer law in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
There's always reason behind a standard. I think the tile spacing section of the british standard looks at expansion and retraction of substrates and materials involved to work out what tile spacing is needed for a certain sized tile on wall and floors and the spacing is to compensate for movement. And of course tile variations allowed under standards (in the UK and elsewhere) which means all the tiles may not be exactly the same size.

So it'll be related to other standards, and all factors that contribute to failures when they're studied.

Manufacturers and associations and the likes can suggest improvements to standards I think. As they'd see failures and improvements, though I guess that's a slow process to get into practice.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
We've had people end up on the forums from searching for such a thing - tile spacer law - Google Search

lol

Notice the 'Replies' and 'Authors' (contributors) count is inaccurate. Though it was only last indexed 4 hours ago.

Only well indexed forums end up with google recording that information, though wrong in this case it is usually a roughly accurate once the topic is 24 hours old and it's been 'crawled' by google a few times.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I get 33 posts (when there are now 15) and 1 author (when there are about 7 contributors to the thread) and its last update was 4 hours ago.

Though that's all wrong. But checking other threads and thread titles we get much more accurate information. So perhaps just because the thread is new and Google has only crawled the website a couple of times, or because our daily website map submission hasn't been read/submitted yet.

Still. I see many IT/Design related forums struggling to get google do this to their forums, even using the same software and similar customisations, so that's cool for TilersForums to be fetching that sort of info from Google. It has been doing it for ages, but every time I reported such a thing in the past it went the next day :p

But this has been there that long that I dare point it out. So ner.

D

Deleted member 1779

I've seen tiles fitted WITH NO SPACES before.

Mainly in hotel rooms and in my mates villa in spain. They just butt them together!

tile_trowel2.jpg

its nice to see a bit of grout though!

M

mistral

i tiled a beautiful polished marble bathroom a few months ago and used 1mm spacers,never again!!!!:yikes:

A tile shop I used to do work for was obsessed with small grout joints and was always specifying 1mm on walls and 2mm on floors. He even tried to go down to 1mm on floors!!!! Seemed not to understand that not all tiles are the same size..........

H

hillhead

A tile shop I used to do work for was obsessed with small grout joints and was always specifying 1mm on walls and 2mm on floors. He even tried to go down to 1mm on floors!!!! Seemed not to understand that not all tiles are the same size..........
that bathroom i done i had the floor and walls with 1mm joints.looked like glass the floor in particular but the walls had a small chamfer around edges but i filled the grout nicely out to the face.

S

Stan001

And BS5385 also suggests that the tolerance for grouting gap below 6mm wide is plus and minus 1mm.
So for a …
2mm gap you can finish that off at 1mm to 3mm wide
and for a …
1mm gap you can finish that off at 0mm to 2mm wide
So there you go; today’s conspiracy theory is that the tile spacer manufacturers have bribed the British Standards guys to make 2mm the minimum because with a 1mm grout gap average allowance you actually don’t need a 1mm tile spacer – you could just butt them all up and officially ‘jobs a good’n’ – sweet!

…. I’ll get my coat.

S

smurf21

Most of porcelanosa's stuff rec 1mm joints, we did some displays at their showrooms and everything had to be 1mm walls and floors 1.2m long tiles and 1mm joint:mad2: said thats fine on perfectly flat timber displays but they rec it to a customer on dodgy walls and you try telling that customer that to achieve that showroom finish with that tile and that joint they need a replaster or reboard at X amount of pounds and the job goes south,,,,,, imo spacer width within reason should be at the fixers discretion.

Reply to tile spacer law in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, as a novice, I need some advice. Our landscapers have been doing a fantastic job so far...
Replies
Views
Hello Everyone, I am new to this forum and I'm looking for your experts' advice in a situation...
Replies
Views
hello all, i'm just about to start tiling my bathroom and thinking to use those levelling...
Replies
Views
Blunt Tool
B
R
First post on this forum and unfortunately its not under good circumstances. We have built...
Replies
Views
Reggiethethird
R
S
We are having a constant battle with learners and employers of apprentices regarding leaving...
Replies
Views
Cera Nevada
C

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.