UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss tile spacer law in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

brian c

depends how well calibrated the tiles are aswell to what spacer i use,i tend to use 3mm for walls and floors,i did a job last week with rectified quartz tiles and the customer wanted 1mm joints but i advised that the floor would probably fail as it was a plywood floor and 1mm joints is a no no due to deflection,expansion and contraction etc....in the end she opted for 3mm....:smilewinkgrin: also told her i was deadly serious in that i wouldnt guarantee the floor.

D

DHTiling

what about the old johnsons tiles which where manufactured to be butt jointed, isnt there something in the british standard which says that 2mm is the standard unless the tiles have been manufactured for butt jointing ,i may be wrong, its a long time since i read the british standards

British standards have changed since the days of butt jointing on lugged tiles.

Standards change to meet the way houses etc are built..and to cope with more demanding substrates.:thumbsup:

D

disco

Well that kind of answered my question. Ive just come back from Vietnam where I stayed in some pretty nice hotels whilst stood in the shower I noticed that all of the tiles were butt jointed (as you do) and even though they had a slight chamfer they looked damn good Im thinking about trying it on one of my jobs Ill make sure the walls are pretty rigid and use a good flexible adhesive but if there is movement the first to go is the grouting Ive never seen tiles snap because of movement.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
I was taught 2mm for walls and 3mm for floors as British Standards. Just been reading through them as I have a bathroom coming up where the customer wants 1mm joints (as per porcelanosa display).
Could only find this in BS-5385:

Tiles should never be fixed with butt-joints, as an adequate width of
joint is necessary for the relief of any local stress. Joints of
approximately 1 mm to 2 mm should be left around every tile
by inserting spacing pegs of suitable thickness between the tiles as
fixing proceeds. If for design reasons wider joints are required, the
same technique should be adopted.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to tile spacer law in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, as a novice, I need some advice. Our landscapers have been doing a fantastic job so far...
Replies
Views
Hello Everyone, I am new to this forum and I'm looking for your experts' advice in a situation...
Replies
Views
hello all, i'm just about to start tiling my bathroom and thinking to use those levelling...
Replies
Views
Blunt Tool
B
R
First post on this forum and unfortunately its not under good circumstances. We have built...
Replies
Views
Reggiethethird
R
S
We are having a constant battle with learners and employers of apprentices regarding leaving...
Replies
Views
Cera Nevada
C

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.