Search the forum,

Discuss Tile Spacers, leave them in, or take them out, What say you!!! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

m3fitter

#
to be honest boys........ get a grip......its a spacer ! enough said... if you have enough time to dedicate any brain time to take out spacers or not.... @@ !! life's far too short

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Ok here's a link to the other thread http://www.tilersforums.com/43-tiling-forum/65515-tile-spacers-4.html Unfortunatley the link to the TTA article (post 14 from John Benton) doesn't work any more, which is annoying as it was quite a good read. I'll see if I can find it somewhere else.

The two main points were these:- It can weaken the joint because of the lack of grout in the joint and also because the depth of grout is not the same throughout the joint, the colour shading could possibly vary i.e. the thinner the grout, the lighter it becomes.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
John,that's the problem, I've taken out many a bathroom,kitchen ect after years of being down, with all the spacers in,never seen a problem yet .
Does this make it right I here the few say?
Of course it does, if it's never been a problem for decades ,why should it start now ?
The internet and forums are the main culprit for this,someone can say ' I've never left a spacer in, it can make you house fall down'
2 months later it's spread around the internet and the worlds ended just cos of a little plastic spacer
I will put money on every tiler leaving spacers in a job ,especially them who have been at it like me since the 80s, when we plastered the sites( big detached) we tiled them as well, spacers left in, never a problem

C

charlie1

I just can't believe someone would actually attempt to remove a spacer that's been fully inserted, there either daft and think that's what your meant to do...or...they have too much time and I'm sorry, I just don't believe people actually do this.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
In 32 years of tiling I've never left a spacer in..
I use spacers as pegs and only space the horizontal line.....and I've never put a spacer in a floor tile on my life just do it with stright edges and a keen eye. .
Just the way ive always done it and always will. .:thumbsup:

Reply to Tile Spacers, leave them in, or take them out, What say you!!! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen