Discuss tiler has made a complete mess and not answering calls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Daz

These tiles are 600's so the only adhesive to use is a bagged powder. Add to that the plywood floor and you need to be including a cement powder mixed with latex. It is quite obvious that the tiler has used the wrong adhesive.

The next issue is his method of fixing. There has been a lot of assumption that the tiles are incorrectly fixed. You need to identify one of the tiles that has cracked grout around it, rake / scrape out the grout and carefully lift the tile. Take a picture of the floor underneath and also the underside of the lifted tile. This will help us diagnose the fixing procedure.

With this information we can better advise whether your tiler is at fault or whether there is an issue with the substrate.

Many thanks,

Daz

F

fulabeer

Likely suspects?

p3819464_x.jpg 5010383063436_001c_v001_ap.jpg 55336_x.jpg

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
You can get flexi adhesive already mixed in a tub.. DIY gear and can take weeks to set as it relies on dispersion as you said.

Yeah that's why I said 'almost certainly' and not definitely. If it is though, then I'd guess that's a contributing factor too.

Hopefully though, all tiles come off easily and it's just a case of re-fixing them. The tiler should come back really if that's the case - although the ply needs upgrading or some backerboard using instead doesn't it?

F

fulabeer

I am getting a bit worried by all the anti ply comments.
Not being a qualified tiler, i'm not privy to the latest techniques/thinking.(until i joined here!)
I have done a lot of bathrooms, and always used ply before tiling the floors.
The thing is, i tend to use 9mm (unless the floor has too much give) as to avoid a large lip/step up in floor height.(then add adhesive/tiles etc)
What i will say is that i always make sure i secure the original floorboards, and then over do it with the securing screws.

I have always used Mapei Keraquick mixed with Latex Plus.(or similar years a go)
I haven't primed the Ply first, so i'm wondering if i should have?
I just trowelled the floor/ply and back buttered the tile.

Jobs i've done over ten years a go are still down, with zero faults. (what i know about)
Or i should say i've had zero call backs.

Be honest guys, have i created a time bomb for my family/customers?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Be honest guys, have i created a time bomb for my family/customers?
It is just lately quite a bit of ply is cheap import to keep costs down etc.. a lot of this ply is poor grade and leaches resins etc and this blows adhesive off..

Also the problem with thinner plys is that they cannot handle moisture well, so the reason for BS 5385 min of 15mm and this also aids in deflection issues..

I now prefer to offer 100% moisture stable floor... worth thinking about with your future installs.

D

Daz

Preparation is a massive thing with tiling, as with other trades, but with tiling you've got sooo many chances to screw up one of the many layers somewhere with tiling. Most just think 'right adhesive for the tile and background and we're laughing' but it's not the case.

So true Dan.
I had a day off today 'cos the boxed frame around the bath had been finished with 6mm ply. I applied gentle pressure with my fingers and the substrate flexed and wobbled like a jelly.

It doesn't matter what adhesive I use, there was no way that I could guarantee a tile staying stuck for more than an hour.

Reply to tiler has made a complete mess and not answering calls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, With a kitchen renovation, Mrs choose the white mirror quartz floor tiles from a...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Tiling my en-suite was part of a larger build project. The builder subcontracted the tiler who...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
tiler has made a complete mess and not answering calls
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.