Discuss tiler has made a complete mess and not answering calls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

karlm98

19mm ply sound great but how many customers agree to that sort of height along with the adhesive and a 9mm tile thats 31mm! talk about a step..lol
sounds like old warped floor joists and loose floor boards, if there is too much deflection 19mm would not really fix that issue only beefing up the floor joists and securing the boards or even replacing with 18 or even 22mm glued n screwed boards i guess thats the time to call the joiners.
ditra over exterior grade 18/22mm chipboard see the ditra link Schlüter-DITRA - Schlüter-Systems this would keep the transition to a minimum, you could always use hardibacker 500 screwed 200mm and use construction glue to make sure movement is kept to a min.
dot n dab are you sure the guy is not a plasterer? no tiler should have that in their arsenal well maybe if you are slapping 2inch marble flagging down..lol and are using sand n cement hahaha also the guy may have not primed the wood with SBR or a suitable primer, could have been damp ply or substandard ply? in the USA ply is not a substrate of choice and after trying to use it i felt the same the quality was absolute REMOVED, couldn't find marine ply only pressure treated ply and that felt greasy well to me at least..lol

oh on a side note why is Hardibacker in the uk smaller in dimention and more expensive than the US version? 3 x 5ft $12 a sheet compared to 800 x 1200 £16 upwards? sounds like we brits always manged to be ripped off!

Last edited by a moderator:
K

karlm98

cant beat the British sense of humour, my post was about bad floor joist and reinforcing the joist then using 18/22mm boards glued and screwed the boards being exterior(waterproofed)grade then using Ditra then tile along with the correct adhesive and grout.
also dot n dab is not something tilers should do with tiles as mentioned before thats the reason we use notch, serrated,jagged, U trowels, if i were putting plaster board up i would be using the dot n dab method. talk about shovels n taking yer pick..lol jeez

M

mikethetile

19mm ply sound great but how many customers agree to that sort of height along with the adhesive and a 9mm tile thats 31mm! talk about a step..lol
sounds like old warped floor joists and loose floor boards, if there is too much deflection 19mm would not really fix that issue only beefing up the floor joists and securing the boards or even replacing with 18 or even 22mm glued n screwed boards i guess thats the time to call the joiners.
ditra over exterior grade 18/22mm chipboard see the ditra link Schlüter-DITRA - Schlüter-Systems this would keep the transition to a minimum, you could always use hardibacker 500 screwed 200mm and use construction glue to make sure movement is kept to a min.
dot n dab are you sure the guy is not a plasterer? no tiler should have that in their arsenal well maybe if you are slapping 2inch marble flagging down..lol and are using sand n cement hahaha also the guy may have not primed the wood with SBR or a suitable primer, could have been damp ply or substandard ply? in the USA ply is not a substrate of choice and after trying to use it i felt the same the quality was absolute REMOVED, couldn't find marine ply only pressure treated ply and that felt greasy well to me at least..lol

oh on a side note why is Hardibacker in the uk smaller in dimention and more expensive than the US version? 3 x 5ft $12 a sheet compared to 800 x 1200 £16 upwards? sounds like we brits always manged to be ripped off!

cant find any reference to plasterboard

K

karlm98

Mike i knew you were leading me up the garden path..lol sometimes it is harder to put into writing what you are thinking and sometimes doesn't come out right:yikes:, i know that a lot of tilers are from other trades i think we are a poor 2nd to the painting industry cos most people think they can paint..its a bit harder for the average punter to pick up tiling .
as a side line in the US i worked for my friend, he has a painting co and there is definitely a skill involved, he had to tile on the odd occasion to keep the money coming in but he told me he will never do it again as it is a bit harder on the body than painting..my knees n back agree.

Reply to tiler has made a complete mess and not answering calls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, With a kitchen renovation, Mrs choose the white mirror quartz floor tiles from a...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Tiling my en-suite was part of a larger build project. The builder subcontracted the tiler who...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
tiler has made a complete mess and not answering calls
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.