UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tiler has made mistakes - Advice required in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dave l and l

personally i would go with coving, but thats because i like the look of it. i also like the idea of a different tile round the window,
if the tiler has told you not to pay because his work is not up to standard then he probably shouldnt be in the trade, i would want to question how well they are fixed if the standard of work is not much cop,
if you have both reached an amicable agreement then good,,
didnt realise aberdeen was booming that much that you couldnt get another tiler for three months. i can only imagine that is slightly exaggerated

T

tonyfaestoney

personally i would go with coving, but thats because i like the look of it. i also like the idea of a different tile round the window,
if the tiler has told you not to pay because his work is not up to standard then he probably shouldnt be in the trade, i would want to question how well they are fixed if the standard of work is not much cop,
if you have both reached an amicable agreement then good,,
didnt realise aberdeen was booming that much that you couldnt get another tiler for three months. i can only imagine that is slightly exaggerated

Hi Dave,
Aberdeen is certainly booming but I actually live in a town 15miles away. I am referring to the local tilers in the town where I know their reputable. I should have gone for one of these but as I say it was a plumbers recommendation (not the plumber doing my work) and thought it would be fine.

Lesson learnt for myself and the tiler as he freely admits.

Again thanks for all your advice, it has been much appreciated and given some ideas that can hopefully get the job finished to suit tiler and myself.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
I've got half way down page 3 and decided to reply. I appreiciate everything the op is saying about wanting it up and working, but this is how i see it:

Personally i wouldn't have the guy back at all and i'd have him payout for replacement tiles (on both jobs), the money you would of paid him can contribute to another tiler prehaps. But, i understand that you have a long wait for a different tiler. so, I'd be asking your current tiler to rectify all works. You have a bathroom complete you can use whilst the one you have displayed pictures for gets striped out and re-tiled. He shouldn't make the same error twice, but prehaps walk round the room with him and check the setting out before he places a tile.

Once happy with the tiling in that room and depending on the standard (which i believe you're still unhappy with) of the second room. I'd get him to de-tile and re-tile and/or correct errors in that too.
It's your tilers responsabilty to do a professional and proper job. He clearly hasn't. Sir Ramics answer to the ceiling is what i would of suggested and is probably the best option on that alone. But across the window (IMHO) is completely unacceptable.

Materials, tiles, adhesive and repair works is now your tilers responsability. Pay him what you intended to pay him when he's re-tiled. He also needs to be on your job straight away, especially taking health circumstances into account. His other future bodges should be pushed back until your work is completed and you are 100% happy with the finished result. Yes his diarised customers will be unhappy at the delay, but that's not your problem.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
what i dont like is the fact you keep changing your mind, first you say your happy with the first bathroom, then your not, theres things that need putting right, but you still let him carry on working there on the second bathroom...

imo you should of stopped him stright away if you thought his work wasnt up to scratch, instead of having a free job done..

do the right thing, give him a chance to make good and pay the man...

D

dave l and l

if the guy has done some rough work then he is obviously not up to much and probably should find a new forte, paying someone for doing sub standard work only entices them to go on and create more problems and give the trade a bad name, its hard enough out there for those of us who are actually good at our jobs,
personally i wouldnt have the guy back if his work is poor, he should not be trading as a tiler if he cant leave a proper job.

T

Time's Ran Out

The customer is always right! :lol:
2 photos and we can pin the tiler out on a cross.
With such a bold colour I'd rather have a full tile to the ceiling than a raking cut and 30mm off a 150mm tile is a lot.
He may have perfect set out on all the other horizontal surfaces and all this so called advice could be stopping him from feeding his kids this week.
No set up is perfect and often compromise is the order of the day.

C

charlie1

Everyone in life makes mistakes, that's how you learn, I learn most days lol...it would seem, in this case, the tilers work has failed to satisfy the expectations of the customer however, on another day and another customer could pass as a good tiled job and the exchange of tilers sweat and customers money would have been good. In this case, its fair to say mistakes where made but the timing seems odd considering one bathroom has been done which must have been a good job or you wouldn't let him near another. Another thing, we have only seen 2 pictures of this work and numerous people are hanging the tiler.... I thought this was a "tilers" forum! ... All that needs to be said on this matter is 2 small rectifiable mistakes have been made based on the 2 pics, too much opinion regarding payment and career change imo

D

dave l and l

if you go back and read the posts,, the tiler decided over a weekend that he didnt want to be paid for either bathroom and was happy to come back and finish for free, that to me smacks of someone who at cant do there job properly but at least has a conscience.
we can only go with what info we are given and if what the guy i saying is true and he wasnt happy with any of the job then he is right not to pay and tiler should perhaps find a new career

P

prceramics

sounds to me he is not really a tiler with such school boy errors, the tiling looks nice and flat though with no limpage so there is hope there, can't understand what has happened with the window was the reveal not to be tiled ? he has offered to put right for free with no charge, that's good you wont get many like that just underlines to spend more time setting out before you get yourself into a pickle.

Reply to Tiler has made mistakes - Advice required in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Hello. First time tiler looking for some advice. Doing a bathroom reno and had a professional...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.