UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tiler has made mistakes - Advice required in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

to many smart asses on here giving advice out and ill bet half of you have only been on a tiling course,he who has never made a mistake is a liar and has never done nothing,give the lad a chance before you hang him ,i for one get cheesed of with some peoples opinions on here,i have been a tiler for forty years now and fixed one hell of a lot of tiles i can tell you ,i have done a lot of jobs seen a lot of jobs worked just about every where in the country ,worked for some big tiling companys on big big contracts ,done swimming pools and the likes supermarkets,prisons you name it and i can still make the odd mistake,its nothing that cant be made right as bad as it seems,the man should have paid for the first bathroomif he was happy or if not why let him start the second,im sorry but this stinks:thumbsdown:

P

Peter

Seems like looking for excuses to duck out of payment. If the first bathroom was completed satisfactorily then it should be paid for in full, and anything needed to rectify the second bathroom could be deducted from the price of the job. The guy still has bills to pay and a family to feed, and from the two pictures shown, it doesn't look like an absolute abortion compared to some of the stuff we so on here week in week out.

Would be interesting to see the first bathroom.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
It is a little curious that images of the first bathroom have not been posted. But many have asked to see it.

I smell an arguement here and don't really want to get drawn into. But, i understand the opinions. Yes the tiler has a family, bills etc etc. On the flip side i can understand how some people prehaps not as busy as they would like to be can get frustrated seeing work being turned out like this. No it's not a complete abortion, and agreed people make mistakes. I bet most that have read this would mutter to themselves and think they could do better.

Me personally would be looking to re-do or at least make some kind of obvious feature around the window.
I would seriously weigh up tghe financials of re-doing it because although you leave when you've completed. Your work is always left behind.
Sir Ramic came up with the best solution on the ceilling.

It's clearly a setting out error. Not enough to string him up, but a pretty basic error non the less. Im pretty sure the fella won't make the same mistake again though.

S

Spud

I am going to change careers as I make mistakes ,I cocked up last week on a victorian path and tiled it too far past the customers boundary into the street ,I realised what i had done on and altered it and also knocked £50 off the bill to cover the cost of tiles I had wasted but after reading this thread realise I should not have been paid and need to go and hang my trowels up, are the lock smiths tools still for sale ?

mz30

TF
Arms
liverpool
Am i wrong in thinking that the ceiling is out of level,am i also right in thinking that if the o/p is checking work,shouldnt he have checked the ceiling earlier?It maybe bad setting out(i would never set off on a ceiling but know guys who do)but if your tiles are level shouldnt the ceiling be too?.(never are )
Goes to show we can all pull faults in peoples work but dont call people when that same(or similar thing)can happen to the most experienced tilers,we are pretty much a finishing trade so we have to deal with the crap that other trades leave before us.
Anyone who says they dont still make the odd mistake is lying like any job it goes with the territory.

T

tonyfaestoney

Hes long gone from this post

I think he was a bit slippery

Come on now swanman,"bit slippery" is somewhat jumping to conclusions. Just popped back onto this forum and noticed it had carried on quite a bit since I last looked.

Points I think I need to clarify as I don't think everyone has read comments from the beginning.

1. I am as far away from a DIY'er as you can get. I would not know a good tiling job from a bad one. I have being doing extensive work in the house for a numerous weeks with various tradesmen working. The first bathroom did look ok to me on first looks and I should have inspected closer to be fair. I still say that it is acceptable but the plumber stepped in to help with a few bits that needing sorting. Issues I am left with and no idea if these are bad are; grout in between mosaic tiles is all holed, lots of little holes. Grout in corner of sink vanity unit has large hole in it with the old white grout behind it visible. I can take pictures and post if it is necessary.

2. En-suite room which the pictures were of looks stunning with mix of red, black and chrome. There are temporary fixes in place around the window and decorator caulk filling the ceiling gaps. There are also areas where tiles are coming out of line and is visible with grout lines.

To summarise it is widely agreed the tiler has made a mistake. In my opinion it was fair to ask him to correct. This would obviously mean starting again. The Tiler agreed and HE said he would not charge for the whole job. He then advised he was not in a position to do the work again for some time (November).

This is the bit a lot of people are not getting, I asked him to come back and put up rest of tiles! This was because as I say we had moved into the house and not really had a day when work was not being done and we had the end in sight but it was now disappearing into the distance. The plumber was waiting to plumb in, so I asked if he could put the last 2 layers of tiles up...no big deal if you ask me and I feel some people are reading too much into this.

The cost to rip the tiles down, replace and fit again will be around about the cost of both bathrooms in my opinion. So I thing the TILERS DECISION is a fair one.

Lastly after questioning and in hindsight I should have done this prior to work. He is not very experienced and had done a tiling course. He kept saying that is the way he was shown on the course.

Now I really should not care in the slightest what people think of me, but I can assure you I am honest and hard working. We were looking forward to enjoying our time in new house with all new bathrooms etc. Put yourselves in the same position and take the tiler out of it, say a badly laid carpet, would you be saying "oh well everyone makes mistakes", no thought not!

He had the chance to re-do the work but he advised he did not have time for this and would not take payment. I am still left with the future disruption and now the added expense albeit this was my choice, to remove the plumbed in stuff and re-plumb, but we just wanted a functioning room for a while.

I hope this goes some way to explaining and reassuring people of my intentions.

martin1c

TF
Arms
Cheshire
Although the setting out was bad, the tiling looked fairly good in that it was level at least. It's just a shame that the tiler didn't think of dropping the ceiling by an inch and skimming it. He could also have dot and dabbed a 12.5mm plasterboard onto the window head (looks like there's space) and continued to tile around the window and no one would have known. It would take a day to make those corrections and he may possibly have been paid for both bathrooms too.

T

tonyfaestoney

So did this ever get resolved? very easy to put the job right in my opinion as i have said earlier in this post.....hopefully it got resolved and the tiler got paid for the 1st bathroom atleast!.....if not then the customer was set out to scam from the off!

Getting a bit annoying now. Hey Martino, can you read? If so then you would have been able to answer your own question. I am not trying to scam anyone.

Question: Did you offer to pay the tiler when he had finished the bathroom that you was at first happy with or not,and if not why not did he say to you he would wait until it was all finished? i dont know many tilers that are loaded with cash i think most need paying or at least i would not have continued until payment from the first one came forward, no need to get annoyed im sure

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Wow just read all this, the man come on for some advice,what on some of you like the tiling was not that good, bad setting out and tiled over paint as well, and you lot are sticking up for the tiler, talk about bloody double standards from some of you.
My advice tony, dont listen, its your house ,if you are not happy don't pay him,if the 'tiler' is happy then he knows its a crap job, simple

Reply to Tiler has made mistakes - Advice required in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Hello. First time tiler looking for some advice. Doing a bathroom reno and had a professional...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.