Discuss Tilers straight edge!? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

davemul

Evening all

What do you guys use as a straight edge to run across up the wall to start your first row of tiles.. (to rest on also)

I cant screw anything to the wall as its tanked

I have a couple of those rubi stands, just need something to put across them to get level

Before you say batten, I don't think I have EVER had a straight piece of timber from any of the sheds! they are ALWAYS bowed!

perhaps an über long spirit level?

J

jonnyc

we have always used a 2.5 mt box section 3 x 2 inch straight edge.
they only cost about 30 pounds
can buy from refina.
great to use on floor as well as clean cut square edge so you can see if any gaps underneath.
thickenough to sit your level on top or to face to check level/plumb .
we work to not being able to get a 1mm spacer underneath wherever you put straight edge but if you went to 3mm you would be within B.S STANDARD FOR THAT LENGTH.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
I usually do bottom first but in a wet room I would cut bottom row in later - I have aluminium straight edges but you can use a
level/levels or timber battens. Get some wedge spacers from trade tiler - very handy to make micro adjustments if the timber you use isn't **** on.

S

Stef

we use a pack of spirit levels (1800, 1200, 600) & i added a 1000 into the carry case. we only ever use them if we tile the
walls before the floor then stick the bottom tile in.
I drilled holes along the lengths of the beads about every 30/40mm so if its stud walls then we can screw into the stud for
a good fixing.
put the stabila along the top of them though once they are fixed as they were only cheap.

D

davemul

this worked ok on the floor the other day

9a6be70c.jpg

not the best quality but is straight!

Reply to Tilers straight edge!? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi Tilers, this is my first question on this forum and I've got a few different areas to cover...
Replies
Views
Hi I M new to this and Tiling. I was made redundant and am starting a tiling course it's a Wall...
Replies
Views
I'm probably asking a really silly question but here's my problem. I've tiled a few rooms...
Replies
Views
Hey guys, I normally post over in diynot for general DIY but wrt tiling over timber I need some...
Replies
Views
Just Rizzle
J

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Tilers straight edge!?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.