Discuss Tiling concrete floor and UF heating in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

The Tiler

looks like I'm out number but will still prime both sides as I believe it should be, have seen how bad a S1 adhesive sticks to an unprimed surface and sadly not found another product I'm happy using for wet heat. As for electric I'd use a covered backer board.
looking forward to reading other posts and giving input if I think it will be of assistance, please be gentle with the newbe

D

Dumbo

Depends on the adhesive being used.
Some state do NOT prime cement boards or light weight backer boards...
I've had that before . One which springs to mind was bal saying that about ply ( not that I was tiling to ply ) but it was in a similar conversation to this . So rang them up and challenged them over it ( I particularly like challenging bal self proclaimed messiah's of tiling ) and their response was you can prime it if you want to without affecting performance .

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
I've had that before . One which springs to mind was bal saying that about ply ( not that I was tiling to ply ) but it was in a similar conversation to this . So rang them up and challenged them over it ( I particularly like challenging bal self proclaimed messiah's of tiling ) and their response was you can prime it if you want to without affecting performance .
This is taken from there pdf, the adhesive is bal single part fast flex, an adhesive I use all the time on wooden substrates with cement boards...

IMG_20181104_162133.jpg

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
Right if you look at next paragraph down that is what I challenged them on. Saying do not prime surfaces to be tiled on . I challenged them and they ok not a problem . So I wouldn't rely on that . I've not finished bal tech will get a call from Mr pain in the arse from salisbury
I know first hand priming certain surfaces using that adhesive reduces the bond strength considerably.

D

Dumbo

This is taken from there pdf, the adhesive is bal single part fast flex, an adhesive I use all the time on wooden substrates with cement boards...

View attachment 101994
So just had a chat with bal tech and they say no need to from their point of view but you could to slow the porosity of the board but you should check with the manufacturer . The guy was very non committal and ambiguous but at no point did he say do not do it . I also asked if it would be detrimental to the bond strength and he said no . I dont know if bal board is a lightweight board , i know it not cementitous but they recomend priming with apd

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
So just had a chat with bal tech and they say no need to from their point of view but you could to slow the porosity of the board but you should check with the manufacturer . The guy was very non committal and ambiguous but at no point did he say do not do it . I also asked if it would be detrimental to the bond strength and he said no . I dont know if bal board is a lightweight board , i know it not cementitous but they recomend priming with apd
Don't believe you...!

Do you have photographic evidence of you on the phone to them, holding a copy of today's news paper, along with a tape recording of the conversation....!...:cool:

Joking a part, if you had a failure on a job and primed the boards, I can guarantee, no, hang on , I can 25 year guarantee bal will blame that as it says in the pdf do NOT prime the board's...

Last edited:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling concrete floor and UF heating in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have a customer who lives in a 200 year old property. The lounge floor he wants tiled which...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I'm planning on tiling my porch, and the tiles and adhesive will take up around 13mm of height...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB