Discuss Tiling Job gone wrong? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Scott

The 3 way in metal trim takes some skill to get it to look nice, for me i buy the corner piece, its time thing too. Much cheaper than sitting cutting and filing.

What about the fact that you have the wrong grout? Surely he doesnt expect full pay for that mistake?

It is was me and a customer wouldnt pay until things are changed, and i have had this happen before when they have changed their minds on things like decor tiles or random patterns on splashbacks. You just have to do it regardless, it can sour the deal but this has already gone pear shaped for your relationship with the builder. Im sure you can find a nicer tiler/builder to send that christmas card to :) Ill send you my address is you like ;)

C

Ceramico tiling

You should not have to put up with all this hassle.If I had done even one of those mistakes I would expect not to be paid.If the tiler did all that which we can see in the pics,I would question the quality of the entire job.I would check my walls with a spirit level,,and knock on all the tiles to check for voids beneath them.I would also think about the materials that were used.I dont think this company sent you a proper tiler based on those pics

W

wildfirejc

Tiling Latest Small 1.JPG Tiling Latest Small4.JPG Tiling Latest Small 7.JPG Tiling Latest Trim 1.JPG Tiling Latest Small 5.JPG Tiling Latest Small 6.JPG
Tiling Latest Small3.JPG Tiling Latest Small2.JPG Tiling Latest Trim 2.JPG Tiling Latest Trim 3.JPG These are some of the latest photos. We took our first shower today and I heard a bang - stepped around the drain hole and noticed that the tiles around the drain hole are not level. So I took a level stick to it - and you can see the result - we bought an Abacus Elements Shower tray - untiled, you can hardly tell that there is a curvature in the tray. But after the tiling, the corner where the drain hole is, appears to have lifted several centimetres. We thought - maybe that's how they make the water drain away faster....anyway, we now hear a creaking sound whenever we step on the corner...any ideas what might have happened here? Also took some more shots of the corner trim.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

charlie1

Its just a mess!!!

There has been no care taken with the trim, god knows whats going on with the floor but it is astatically bad and could be failing. Have the corners been grouted or siliconed?? Looks like grout to me!!

Overall, not much pride in this work. I would also advise against regrouting with lighter grout colour as I think this could possibly show up more problems that may not be apparent just now like lipping.

W

wildfirejc

It only creaks if we stepped on the tiles between the drain hole and the wall. No creaks are evident when we step anywhere else in the shower tray.

I have found even more shoody work and here are additional photos I took this morning - what do you think of the silicone sealant on the shower tray and wall? Does it look like there are air bubbles - bits coming off loose?

Attachments

• Fault 5.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 93
  • Fault 10.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Fault 11.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 82

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
not a good job at all mate,get them back to sort it,or if you want rid,pay him or don't,and get someone right to sort it,

has it not started leaking through the ceiling yet,the drain looks all wrong to me,i did one the other month,the drain sleeve should be flush with the tiles and then the cap placed/screwed on top so the water flows on the cap and down the drain:thumbsup:

T

TURBO TILER

Basically the guy who quoted the job should of suggested a corner piece for your tile trim with so many years alleged experiance it's a given to notice these things. No excuse for the grout other than blatant disregard for you! As for the price I'd get another Tiler to quote you for rectifying the problems and show this to your cowboy, and tell him this is the reason I will not be paying you!

O

One Day

Does anyone who has given advice above know whether the finishing complies with BS5385 fitting standrads please?
This is what the tiler is insisting in his response to my counterclaim

BS5385 leaves a lot of scope for poor work I am afraid - for instance it allows a 1mm deviation in levels when using a 2mm spacer - a veritable door step when dealing with rectified tiles!
2mm is the minimum recommended joint, although I almost always use 1mm quite well when using porcelanosa's rectified tiles.
Must admit, I check the suitability of tiles and walls very carefully beforehand though.

People need to remember BS5385 is guidance - not law.

If you want to counter their insistance that it's all "within acceptable standards and tolerances", I'd suggest you take a tile off the wall.
If you tap them, do they sound hollow? With such poor workmanship it's likely they spot-fixed. A complete No-No.

Don't pay until you're satisfied, and in future always insist on written quotes outling EVERY detail.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Just a thought regarding your grout colour. Do a search for Aquamix colorant. It's a liquid that will colour & seal any grout. It turns dark grouts to light grouts. It comes in many colours. You can apply the solution yourself with a toothbrush. However, you just first remove the sealer that the builder applied. Again, there are products on the market that will clean & remove sealers. It might make you feel a little bit better about your bathroom. Good luck. Sean

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling Job gone wrong? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
We recently finished a bathroom renovation where the two builders who did the bathroom also did...
Replies
Views
L
I would like some advise. We booked a tiler for a new build with quite a lot of work to be done...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Tiling Job gone wrong?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.