Discuss tiling over chipboard floating floor! help needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
there's a lot of differences of opinion and a lot of myths about tiling on chipboard. i say go ahead with bal on chipboard - you won't have a problem = just make sure you mix the addy properly, lay a good even layer, and bed the tiles down well.

check out this long thread - http://www.tilersforums.com/tile-adhesive-grout-substrate-preparation/10940-tiling-over-floor-grade-chipboard.html

the piont were trying to make is not what adhesive will stick to chipboard, its weather a floating floor is suitable to tile to........do you even know what a floating floor is?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
Arn said ''the ceramic tiled floor that was down previously was absoultely fine with no signs of cracks or any tiles lifting''.

so what's your point, andy?

my point is a floating floor isn't suitable to tile , you can take the chance and you may get lucky and not have any problems, but is it really worth the risk ?

where i live there are many eastates built using this method, and i have seen many faliures, the floors are to unstable to tile, and i would not want to charge a customer to tile a floor and not be 100% sure the floor will not fail..

most adhesive company's wont even guarantee there products on floating floors so how can you guarantee your work..

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
Arn said ''the ceramic tiled floor that was down previously was absoultely fine with no signs of cracks or any tiles lifting''.

so what's your point, andy?

the point is if you are going to guarantee your work and gain a good reputation laying tiles down in the wrong situation is not the correct thing to do.

just because it was fine in the 1st instance does not under any circumstances make it correct and it also doesnt mean it wont fail the 2nd time!!

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
firstly PJC dont insult me.im fully insured and never do a bad job ......... and KILTY55 thats rite i am qualified and do know what materials to use i.e addys and grouts but i was just wanting to know if there's anything else out there differnt to what i use all the time.i.e something designed for that.like i say this would have been the first time ive come acroos a tile over floating floor job.and tbf ive got nvq2, diploma level 2 and city guilds and went to plymouth CFE and in the whole course there were know mention of not to tile over a floating floor.'ive even checked all notes and paperwork from college'. :smilewinkgrin: this is meant to be a forum to give people advice and help if needed.not take the mic out of other tiler or try make me look UN professional.any way for any one else that wants to know the customer has two choices now which are: 'the floating floor has been ripped out and then have a concrete screed layed down' 0r ' i lay hardi board over chipboard and screw and glue'. down side to hardi board is that doesn't give me enough clearance on the double glazed back door, especially as theres 15mm natural slate and 10mm addy and 12mm hardi board. :hurray:

I don't think there's any need for this attitude. You've come on here for some advice and when given you seem intent on ignoring it and arguing against it.
If its unlikely that you will like the answer then don't ask the question.

D

Deleted member 9966

Sorry GRR. Still getting to grips with tapatalk. Was showing as unread

it's fine Ali, it's showing up in your unread list because judge commented on it last night. It's quite a significant topic at the moment because there is another thread that has been started recently about the same topic. if there is new information or insight into this thread, then please carry on posting with your comments.

D

Deleted member 9966

oh I get it....is there no way to mark out the beams underneath and fix the boards down with screws? there must be a way to fix these type of floors or make them sturdier

mr tiler, this will be one of the biggest lessons you will learn as a tiler - understanding your substrate, all the variables that could affect it such as UFH systems, applicable materials such as the correct adhesives and grouts, and even the type of tiles being used on the job.

as can be seen from this thread and the other thread that is currently live on this topic, the pro's don't like chipboard and anything that floats. Adding other variables that are difficult to be controlled will make the job harder to tile successfully and which is why most pro's won't tile a job like this.

Reply to tiling over chipboard floating floor! help needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

UK Tiling Forum Trending

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.