Currently reading:
tiling over chipboard floating floor! help needed

Discuss tiling over chipboard floating floor! help needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Y

ythan

yes, tiled on chipboard using bal fast flex and wide joint bio microflex. no problems.

checked that the floor was deflection free, and mixed and laid the addy carefully, and bedded the tiles properly.

pity that thread got closed and not allow the diy'er to update. I've little doubt the tiling is still OK. that thread has had nearly 14,000 hits.
[h=3]
icon5.png
tiling over floor grade chipboard[/h] Started by sharpfamily, 09-06-2008 1 2 3 ... 9
paperclip.png

• Replies: 126
  • Views: 23,249
GirlRacerRed
07-10-2011

T

yes, tiled on chipboard using bal fast flex and wide joint bio microflex. no problems.

checked that the floor was deflection free, and mixed and laid the addy carefully, and bedded the tiles properly.

pity that thread got closed and not allow the diy'er to update. I've little doubt the tiling is still OK. that thread has had nearly 14,000 hits.
icon5.png
tiling over floor grade chipboard

Started by sharpfamily, 09-06-2008 1 2 3 ... 9
paperclip.png

• Replies: 126
  • Views: 23,249
GirlRacerRed
07-10-2011

Thanks for your reply Ythan, but you didn't answer my question, "are you a tiler?" if so what are your qualifications? if you don't mind me asking, I am always interested to know why people would give bad advice on a pro tilers forum. Your experience and background would really intrigue me.

I will gladly share mine with you. Please do respond to this as I am trying to understand your reasons for thinking that chipboard is under any circumstances a suitable substate to receive any type of tile.

Y

ythan

hello, phil.

yes, i welcome & thanks for your curiosity.

No, you're right, i don't do tiling for a living..... i guess what you mean by 'are you a tiler?'. i appreciate that professional tilers have to somewhat protect their trade.......but on this 'pro tilers'? forum, some contributors don't seem to behave very professionally.......dare i say some of the hubris behaviour is like that of bankers.

note that non professional tilers coming to this site are looking for good technical, considered advice. some of the comments from some contributors are just not professional and bullying albeit with a bit of banter......as in that closed chipboard thread.

on a personal note, for your info, i'm a retired very highly qualified civil engineer (offshore north sea oil), who has very much enjoyed doing several projects of home tiling.....though i would not want to do it as a new career.

On a comparative day rate, I'm probably the most expensive tiler in the uk, luckily, my only client is..... me.

i'm just now about to start a 4th project.

best,
ythan

T

Thanks for that mate, I knew you were not a tiler, and while we are polishing our buttons I don't go on highly qualified engineers sites and spout rubbish. I am very proud of my achievements in my industry, I was the first tiler in Britain to be awarded a CSCS Heritage card, I have been nominated for the very prestigious Master craftsman accreditation..So I think you should keep your DIY comments to yourself. I sit on the TTA fixer training committee to try to get some skill back into this industry, I do it FOC, So having to listen to people like you who have know idea about tiling winds me up. Please feel free to PM me if you would like to take this conversation further. If not stick to what you know.:mad2:

B

bugs183

Sorry Ythan i really don't agree with you here about the fellas here behaving like bankers, or being protective.
If they were they'd have said ah 'flexible adhesive, tile it you'll be fine, just make sure you get paid'.
The guy wanted to know what he could do about tiling onto chipboard and he got the correct answer, don't!
Floating floors and chipboard are a dreadful idea and are not suitable to tile to ever, you've been lucky, yours haven't failed, but turn that into a day to day situation and you cannot afford to take risks, as these floors do fail.
The guys lately have been finding it more and more exasperating when good advice is asked for and then completely ignored, to the point were members will stop offering advice.
I've been tiling over 20 years and kinda know my stuff, there are guys here, many on this thread that wipe the floor with me in knowledge, and if they say 'do' or 'don't' do something in regards to tiling, it's going to be the correct advise.
I personally dislike know alls' and closed shop mentality, this is why i'm on this forum, because of it's members.
And no Wick's adhesive is awful, there is no one here that would say it is reputable, it seems reputable means it sells a lot, or our staff can recognise the word 'wood' on it. Stick with Bal or Mapei.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

White Room

hmmmm, i think i see your point......just....... you don't like wickes. a reputable company.

meanwhile, bal is the only product i've used and so far it's been faultless. bal fast flex and wide joint micro bio gout.....well worth the extra cost and time to mix.

Let me tell you about Wickes, B&Q adhesives, they are bought off the major producers but are down graded so they sell cheap.

Bal are an expensive adhesive and there many products that will do the job far cheaper but your've got to be in the trade to know where to buy.

Y

ythan

hello.. again.. phil,
i've certainly no wish to annoy you, and i think that you giving time free of charge to help apprentices is admirable.

at the same time please accept that i'm only reporting my experience.....and yes i'm an engineer and so to me tiling is another engineering challenge which i'm enjoying. and i'm happy to feed back my experience. lets's all remember that's how we moved on from the simple stone lintol to the skyscraper...and the wheel.... to the rolls royce.....& the fire....to the banquet.

T

hello.. again.. phil,
i've certainly no wish to annoy you, and i think that you giving time free of charge to help apprentices is admirable.

at the same time please accept that i'm only reporting my experience.....and yes i'm an engineer and so to me tiling is another engineering challenge which i'm enjoying. and i'm happy to feed back my experience. lets's all remember that's how we moved on from the simple stone lintol to the skyscraper...and the wheel.... to the rolls royce.....& the fire....to the banquet.

Each to their own Ythan, I worked for a precision engineer a few years back who told me he worked to a tolerance of one hundred thousandth of an inch, I replied yeah well I work until it's right.:thumbsup:

Reply to tiling over chipboard floating floor! help needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

UK Tiling Forum Trending

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.