Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling Standards (BS 5385) | British Wall and Floor Tiling Standards - IN FULL in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

gamma38

TF
Reaction score
I had the same thing on a job I did last year I fitted a 5mm joint as the type of tile I was using I had always used that size joint. The floor took me two days to do a day and a half tiling and half a day grouting in all that time they had seen what I was doing and said nothing but as soon as the job was finished they Said they did not like the size grout joint I had used and could I change it. To be honest I was absolutely fuming but as I had not discussed the joint size with them befor I started tiling I had no option but to lift the floor and retile it using a 3 mm joint. I always ask what size joint people want now.
I agree, I always ask the customer what width they want. I even set a few tiles out with the different spacers so they can see what i'm asking. I don't think you can leave anything to chance.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I always layout the tiles in different bonds/grout joint sizes prior to fixing. I can advise, but ultimately let the customer decide. They can't blame you once they're fixed then.

C

charlie1

All these issues should (imo) be discussed with customer prior to starting! Size of joint can have abig bearing in the overall look of the job! Having said that, sometimes with poorly calibrated tiles can dictate a larger joint! Nothing against larger joints, I have seen some great tiled floors with 5mm joints!!

Imo this is just one of those unfortunate cases where the expectations of the customer has not been saticfied by the tiler!....why are these issues never picked up during the project....would save a lot of hassle!

J

Jackie0802

Hi Charlie1,

I agree with you up to a certain extent, and if the grout width was the only problem we wouldn't have a dispute because on the face of it although (IMO) the floor would look better with a thinner grout line the width on it's own would not be a problem. With respect, I don't think it is for the customer to stand over the tilers shoulder and point out crooked tiles or awful cuts as the job progresses. We relied on the tilers professional expertise, and we paid for that expertise. We have also paid more money in an effort to get this put right. I'd also point out that water pooling in the grout line after the floor is washed is not something you would expect a customer to anticipate, but a good tiler should and apply the grout accordingly. I don't think our expectations were out of the ordinary, we would just like to be able to walk across the floor without tripping over and not have to wear wellingtons until the grout dries!

Oh, and a 5mm joint would be about half what we currently have :)

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The D

Do you know what grout was used as in was it a specific wide joint grout or was it a standard grout?? if it was a standard grout this may go some way in explaining why the grout slumps in the joint.
British standards are there for your protection as well as his so quote them back at him.
IMO that type of tile should have a 3-5 mm joint maximum it looks to me that he has used a very large joint in an attempt to disguise shoddy workmanship.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
just tiled a bathroom with 60x40(well,actually 61.5x41.5 :) )asked the customer how they wanted tiles and what spacer

Answer- " are we the tiler,you should know what looks best" :smilewinkgrin:

As for that job,the close ups look real bad,im with deano he has used BIG spaces to make up for bad work,id like to see the full floor as well,set up ect ect

J

Jackie0802

Not in all cases, although most of the chipped tiles (25 in all) are around the ones that have been replaced. Two tiles have susquently cracked in the last few days, ironically neither of these were problem tiles!

Reply to Tiling Standards (BS 5385) | British Wall and Floor Tiling Standards - IN FULL in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen