Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling Standards (BS 5385) | British Wall and Floor Tiling Standards - IN FULL in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jackie0802

I do have lots more pictures which I will post up tomorrow. Having said that I have just been reading the thread on the Topps slate tiles, and I thought I had problems!:yikes:

T

The D

BSI 7.1.9.2
Across joints
There should be no appreciable difference in level across joints
(commonly called “lipping”) and the maximum deviation between
tile surfaces either side of a joint, including movement joints, should
be as follows.
a) Joints less than 6 mm wide, 1 mm.
b) Joints 6 mm or more wide, 2 mm.

J

Jackie0802

Here are a couple more pictures of different areas. Would like opinions on depth of grout too, this problem wasn't immediately that obvious, bearing in mind that this is a new house build and therefore a bit of a building site still when the floor was laid. The problem soon became apparent when the floor was washed for the first time and we realised the mop didn't reach the grout, and putting more water on meant it collected and sat in the grout line Lippage 3.jpg

J

Jackie0802

I should add that this floor is 67m2 and we have paid REMOVED for the tiler, including adhesives and grouts, so this was not done on the cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gazzer

You do take good close up photos :thumbsup:, but I would like to see an overall photo of the floor . Grout will always have a slight dip, but I do feel that this is excessive. As stated before I would be concerned about the joints not lining up...were there any tile size issues ?
Also in one of the photos it looks as if the tile on the left is higher than the tile on the right.

J

Jackie0802

Yes the tile on the left is much higher, and this was a new floor so there are no issues with levels. If there was an issue with tile sizes it has never been mentioned at any time, and since the tiler has given multiple reasons for the condition of the floor I think this would have been first on the list. I realise now that I need to get some overall shots of the floor, I thought I had some but the three or four I thought I had turned out to have a dirty great doberman hogging the camera! (not so hot on the long shots then?)

Last edited by a moderator:

Houston

TF
Arms
Reaction score
personally tiles with rectified edges need a 2-3mm maximum joint. The flatness of the substrate is essential when using rectified edges on floor and walls to achieve that look of being one.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
You say you have a doberman Jackie........not that I'm insinuating he should be kept on a lead or anything...

G

glasgow_tiler

dosnt look to good from the close up pics, shame you already paid the person, i wonder if the floor is miles off square aswell that wouldnt help the size of the joints either, im amazad at how many bad jobs there is out there in the world of tiling

Reply to Tiling Standards (BS 5385) | British Wall and Floor Tiling Standards - IN FULL in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen