Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling Standards (BS 5385) | British Wall and Floor Tiling Standards - IN FULL in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jackie0802

Tile.jpg Tile.jpg

Attachments

• Tile small.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 184
I

Ian

Not looking very good at all, sorry to be a pain, but can you put a couple more pictures on with the whole floor in it, so we can get the bigger picture.

Sent via tapatalk for iPhone 5

J

Jackie0802

Sir Ramic that is just one randomly selected of lots of pictures, others are much worse. Afew weeks ago I posted on here about the sunken grout lines in this kitchen and some of you made some good suggestions. I only told you half the story, but basically we have almost 70m2 like this, and some of the tiles are so uneven that you have to lift the chair over them rather than pulling out from the table. When the floor is washed water sits in the grout line because the grout is so low. The tiler said the problem could be rectified by replacing some tiles and re-doing the grout. We bought an Exact tool following advise from some of you guys and 30 new tiles (all at our expense). The result of the 'remedial' is truely horrific, basically the replaced tiles are even higher than the originals, the grout line was far to wide for the tool to have any effect and 18 good tiles have been horribly chipped by the 'remedial' process. We are now being quoted this BS standard of a grout line of 6mm - 10mm whereas everyone else seems to say that a 3mm line is more in keeping with this type of tile. I should add that this tiler has done several jobs for us before without a problem, so we just didn't see this coming. So far the cost of the 'remedial' has cost us about £500 and we are worse off. The tiles now have to come up and it is going to cost about £5000 to put it all right and all the tiler wants to do is quote British Standard!

I

Ian

That picture does not look good but, some more capturing the whole room will help us help you, if the whole floor is of that standard, the only option would be to remove and start again, so I won't hang the tiler out to dry just yet until I've seen a bit more.

G

Gazzer

But it isnt BS, 3mm min for floors and it seems evident that the joints do not line up anyway.
No amount of grout will compensate if the tiles don't actually line up.

Ask your tiler for this BS of his in writing ?

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Sir Ramic that is just one randomly selected of lots of pictures, others are much worse. Afew weeks ago I posted on here about the sunken grout lines in this kitchen and some of you made some good suggestions. I only told you half the story, but basically we have almost 70m2 like this, and some of the tiles are so uneven that you have to lift the chair over them rather than pulling out from the table. When the floor is washed water sits in the grout line because the grout is so low. The tiler said the problem could be rectified by replacing some tiles and re-doing the grout. We bought an Exact tool following advise from some of you guys and 30 new tiles (all at our expense). The result of the 'remedial' is truely horrific, basically the replaced tiles are even higher than the originals, the grout line was far to wide for the tool to have any effect and 18 good tiles have been horribly chipped by the 'remedial' process. We are now being quoted this BS standard of a grout line of 6mm - 10mm whereas everyone else seems to say that a 3mm line is more in keeping with this type of tile. I should add that this tiler has done several jobs for us before without a problem, so we just didn't see this coming. So far the cost of the 'remedial' has cost us about £500 and we are worse off. The tiles now have to come up and it is going to cost about £5000 to put it all right and all the tiler wants to do is quote British Standard!

Tell him to read the BS section about minimum lippage, if he keeps quoting BS for grout joints. That looks horrendous, if you have to physically lift a chair over the lip of the tile it is completely unacceptable.

J

Jackie0802

The floor has been down since the end of May. We have beed backward and forward trying to reach a resolution since then with the tiler returning in the middle of September to try to make it good. It is now far worse due to the fact that some of the replaced tiles are even more uneven than before and lots of them have been chipped trying to get the uneven tiles or grout out. Because it is such a large area, when you stand back it doesn't look too bad from a distance. But as you go into the room it goes from ok, to poor, to grim to hideious. Even with outdoor shoes on you can feel the dip in the grout lines under foot, in a couple of areas you can easily trip over the raised tiles and the washing machine has wood under one corner to keep it level because the tiles are just totally collapsed in one corner. I think we have come to the conclusion that the whole lot has to come up, all that remains is haggling over who is going to pay for it.

W

White Room

It should'nt have to be you......more pics would be appreciated though to get the bigger picture.

Reply to Tiling Standards (BS 5385) | British Wall and Floor Tiling Standards - IN FULL in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen