Discuss topps tiles shame on you in the Tile Retail | Tile Buying area at TilersForums.com.

T

TT Tiling

hey all, just finished off a slate floor today and the customer needed to get 3 bags of add for me to finish ,to save them driving 40 miles to the shop where they brought everything from , i said well you could all ways try topps lol ,so off they went ,on the return they said they popped in to top but they wanted £63 a bag lol so they went for a drive instead lol
they payed £68 for the 3 bags instead of £189 from topps it may of cost them £20 tops for driving to the shop ,but still saved then selfs over £100 ,shame on you topps
the funny thing is that they are developing 6 barns at a very top end , so after the little cost thing ,topps will not be getting any sales from this cpl
SHAME ON YOU TOPPS

Did a job once just before Christmas needed one more chrome tile edge to finish would have got it from CTD at £4.99 but to late being Christmas went to Topps £19.99 for the same trim I stop using them I steer all customers away from them now.I dont rate there own brand of adhesive any way,I also have just done a kitchen with Metro tiles the customer first went to topps for a price then she got the same tiles on line for half the price.

Last edited:

gamma38

TF
Bedford
I use Topps all the time, for a couple of reasons really, they are definately my closest store to most of my work and I think that i'm getting reasonable deals. But after seeing some of the prices on here i'm not so sure anymore. Off the top of my head here is a rundown of common materials I buy,

Toppfix spf rapid set grey £11.99
Toppfix spf rapid set white £16.00
Bal PTB grey £12.50
Bal PTB white £15.00
Bal spf rapid set grey £25.00
Bal spf rapid set white £28.50
Bal wide joint grey and white grout £7.00 per10kg
Bal microflex £15.00 various colours

Interested in what other people think.

Andy Tiler

TF
Arms
manchester
I use Topps all the time, for a couple of reasons really, they are definately my closest store to most of my work and I think that i'm getting reasonable deals. But after seeing some of the prices on here i'm not so sure anymore. Off the top of my head here is a rundown of common materials I buy,

Bal PTB grey £12.50
Bal PTB white £15.00

That sounds about rite!

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
im quite lucky where i live, tileflare will beat any price from topps on bal, and i have an indepent that i get great prices on weber.

i dont buy into all this 'the more you use us the better prices you get' trade should be trade, and why would i bother spending my hard earned with them to build up to a trade discount, when i can go to any other tile store and get one stright away..

plus i think there tiles are rubbish, who wants a 6 tile pannel of a roman lady pouring water from a jug, i mean, really!!!...:lol::lol:

i'll take cover now...lol

There seems to be a lot of different prices from shop to shop ,near me I have topps and tile gaint next door to each other and customer service is far much better in tile gaint,when topps first opened I took a customer who owns over 40 pubs and hotels that I do a lot of work for, he was willing to spend £35,000 on tiles for one of his hotels on the day until one of the salesman started moaning about being thrown out of one of his pubs,needless to say he walked out of the shop,from then on CTD got his custom and since then he has spend a lot of money with CTD I would not give topps the time of day.

Last edited:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I used to work for topps, was even an assistant manager for their huge store in shrewsburry at one point. They do charge some of the highest prices going, and used to be all BAL when I worked there. But with a trade account you do get a decent discount off their RRP as long as you use the store a lot. We used to try to throw in spacers and sponges instead of discounting at the till as that would give us a bit more profit margin overall as spacers and sponges used to be bought from QEP at the time and Topps had an invested interested in that business so used to ge them very very cheap. Though it didn't always work, traders want discount not free sponges all the time so used to have to discount a lot.

Clearly if you buy 20 bags of something you'd get a bit more off too.

But it was a case of who you knew there. I worked in stores other than my own sometimes so didn't know the regular tradesmen and would need to ask the staff what sort of discounts a guy would have. If they were regular they'd get more off trade, if not, stock trade prices.

J

jonnyc

Bal PTB grey £12.50
Bal PTB white £15.00

SPF Rapid white.£28.00 pe4 bag.
what kind of deal is that!!!
dont care what make it is

gamma38

TF
Bedford
SPF Rapid white.£28.00 pe4 bag.
what kind of deal is that!!!
dont care what make it is

Thats fine i respect what your saying, but what sort of prices are you getting? Thats the whole point of me putting my prices on here so we can all benefit and get better prices if they genuinley exist. More positive and less taking the preverbial.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to topps tiles shame on you in the Tile Retail | Tile Buying area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
We just had a 1.5 sq. m area of floor tiled professionally in our ensuite. The base floor is 18...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in southern Spain in a top floor penthouse apartment (direct sun most of day) with...
Replies
Views
I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views
B
  • Question
The wife wants to renew kitchen wall and floor tiles and we have been looking for a few weeks...
Replies
Views

Tile Buying Popular Threads

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
topps tiles shame on you
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Tile Retail | Tile Buying
Start date
Last reply date
Replies
Unsolved
--

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond