Discuss Travertine crack accross 4 tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rich

No British standard is min of 15mm BWP marine grade ply fixed down at a min of 300mm but 15mm is not so easily available so most use 18mm ply if height is a problem but I like to go as thick as I can. It is still a good idea to seal the underside and edges of the boards, this gives a bit of protection from moisture from underneath. Was that meant to say primer G? That will be fine. When it comes to deflection I have one simple rule "if there is any deflection then you can expect your floor to fail". You are lucky enough to have a say in this before the ply goes down, if the floor needs it, then get the joiner to add some noggins and like I said screw it to death. You want that floor as rock solid as you can get it.

Yeah Primer G, think im loosing the plot!

Ok before i get more info and speak to joiner tomorrow could you help me out?

If floor is deflection free will it make a difference wheither 22mm ply is layed with 2-3mm expansion gap and screw to death up joists or 22mm chipboard layed and screwd to death up the joists?

Are both Ply and Chipboard suitable to have backerboard fixed to using flexible tile adhesive and screw fixing method as per your post?

form experience whats options if deflection exists bering in ming UFH heat transfer?

Thanks again everyone

Here's an update on the upcoming floor. Spoken to joiner and he has no way of adding noggins between joists because of the ufh pipework so advised not to use sheets of ply as under every joint must be supported. Which makes sense, so if chipboard is used which is obviously 22mm thick and t&g, screwed to joists can (if the floors solid and bounce free) cement board such as hardi be fixed as per Richs post using a thin bed of addy and screwed at 150mm centers into the chipboard?Thanks all for any input on this.

Last edited:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Travertine crack accross 4 tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

E
just looking for some advice as to what has gone wrong. Used a local plumber who came highly...
Replies
Views
Flintstone
F
I moved into a new build home 7 years ago with tiled flooring and underfloor heating on the...
Replies
Views
I tiled an L shape bathroom floor 5 months ago and long cracks have appeared at 800mm centres...
Replies
Views
Joseph Kover
J
Hello all I'm a tiler in Ireland and I get a lot of new one off houses to tile, most of these...
Replies
Views
S
Hi Everyone, Am hoping someone can help with some advice here. I have had 120sq mtrs of honed...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Scotland

Thread Information

Title
Travertine crack accross 4 tiles
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.