Discuss Travertine-UFH=Decoupler? Aparently NOT.. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ken Bruty

TF
Arms
Bedford
The new ci seems ok it's now got square studs in it and it doesn't seem to curl as much as the new one, it's more like ditra in the way it behaves, so perhaps it's more stable. Mapetex is less expensive, and you can use it over cracks in screed without having to use it on the whole floor without affecting the tile height (ie no lippage) so in my opinion it's easier to use, and will make your quotes more coompetitive. I can't understand why Mapei haven't pushed it out in the marketplace a bit more though, it's a no brainer for them. Perhaps TG need to consider stocking it specifically for stone floors? :thumbsup:

D

diamondtiling

I just spoke to Dave from PHG and I have to say what a nice and helpful man he is, I need 125 mts of Mapetex to go under some Limestone which is over wet UFH. He explained all the problems that the other manufacturers are having and it seems to be coming from the same manufacturer in Germany.
I will be ordering from Dave next week.

By the way his price was brilliant when compared to another supplier, I found one company charging £977.00 for a 2mtr x 50 mtr roll! Give him a call if you have any issues or queries regarding de-coupling membranes.

:thumbsup:

Home page - PHG Wetrooms

I too have now been converted to Mapeitex for installs were waterproofing isnt required but when it is CI+ all the way. Looks really easy to work with and cut etc, only query ill need clarification on is it says bonded using keraquick and i use a lot of keraflex and theres no mention of bonding it to ply floor or if it can be put down straight onto chipboard providing floor sold and deflection free?...

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
G

Gall.B

I still cant beleve theres tilers out there still not using decouplers for jobs it would clearly benifit.

Just went to see a domestic Travertine job. I was the 6th tiler to see job so hed had a lot of info already. Its 50m2 of module travertine layed over the ground floor of a property running through 5 rooms.

It has wet ufh then chipboard and 15mm ply in place. So I recomended laying dural over ply and fixed with keraflex then laying tile onto bed of keraflex using half round flooring trowel and flexible grout, Reconed it take around 6 days start to finish.

But my price was more expensive than others because id priced in decoupler which at £9m2 makes a difference. I explained that due to there being a wet ufh system and laying a natural tile onto wooden sub that the dural would allow lateral movement of sub without stressing tile and grout.:thumbsup: But he said none of the tilers had heard of or mentioned it apart from one of them, the most expensive one had heard of it or knew what it was...

Am I way off or what:mad2: ?

Lot of guys up our way are pricing crazy at the mo just to get the work usally handy men or guys that have been at it 5 mins.
dont worry you will get the call to sort it you get what you pay for after all!

Know what your talking about talking to a punter after other guys who said tile over chipboard fine etc , you just see there eyes glazing over as your wffling on about backer boards membranes flexi this........ Half the reason I just try to stick to sub work now.

Reply to Travertine-UFH=Decoupler? Aparently NOT.. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi Ive been browsing your forums over the years looking for guidance for odd tiling DIY tasks...
Replies
Views
W
I had a job booked to retile 19m of kitchen floor where the house had apperently had a little...
Replies
Views
wayfoward
W
J
I would be grateful for any advice you could give me. I have recently installed 600x450...
Replies
Views
T
Ok the saga begins 2 years ago with a call from a client complaining about a crunching sound...
Replies
Views
Im involved with a large renovation project at the moment and due to other jobs on the go and...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Scotland

Thread Information

Title
Travertine-UFH=Decoupler? Aparently NOT..
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.