Discuss Tubbed Addy in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

CUSH68

TF
Hi all,

Question about tubbed stuff.

Was on a bathrom job recently with ceramic tiles ( 330 x 250 )on plasterboard,
and was supplied with dispersion addy. Checked a few as I went for coverage etc and that seemed fine. Ended up one tile short (customer supplied) and decided to removng one that would be covered by a vanity unit.
This was maybe 2 hrs into the fix, and managed to remove single tle easily.
I know this addy takes a while to dry out but what worried me was that the previous coverage on back of tile was now not there.
100% addy on wall with the none on tile back. marks from back of tile were visible in the addy, so was definately embeded well. Is this normal,as in does it take a while for addy to bite into the tile?

Thanks

Mark

D

dock

Hi Cush
The bond development of ready mixed adhesives occurs as water dries out and the co-polymer within the adhesive starts to polymerise. In the early part of this process the polymer "film forms" and the water is absorbed by the background substrate and the tile. Cohesive strength develops and if the background is more porous than the tile then forcible removal of the tile will cause separation at the weakest interface which could well be between the tile and the adhesive, particularly if the adhesive used contains alot of additives to help with the non slip characteristics. At the next stage a "crust" develops around the periphery of each tile and it can be "some time" before the adhesive dries fully. This can be further extended if the joints are grouted before the adhesive has fully set.

It is for this reason that larger tiles such as the ones you describe are normally fixed in a cement based adhesive. These type of adhesives use a significant amount of water to chemically alter the cement therefore they do not need to lose water to develop their adhesion.

Hope this helps

dock

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fekin

Thats always a difficult one and very much dependant on the porosity of the background and the tile.

Peoples views vary considerably and it also depends on the quality of the adhesive you use but....................

I guess as a general rule ready mixed.................max around 250 x 200mm

dock

Depends on tile thickness too.

I would only go upto 333 x 333 if they were 6mm, 10mm then cement without a second thought, but use a good tubbed addy on a 6mm thick 333 ceramic and it will be fine, but as I said, that's the max I would work upto with tubbed.

Reply to Tubbed Addy in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
C
Hi all Hoping for some opinions on how to handle an ongoing issue in having with my tiler He...
2 3 4
Replies
Views
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
M
Hi all Interested in views from the trade world about how I should deal with a big floor tiling...
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Replies
Views
J
So I've had my 1200 for a while now and it's done 5-600 cuts, mainly travertine, 610 x 405 x...
Replies
Views
Jelthetiler
J

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Tubbed Addy
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.