Discuss Undercut ...aaaaargh! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

connelltiling

Don't worry moderator - no pricing on this post :)

Quoted for a job today - 16sq m floor (kitchen into hallway and small utility) onto concrete (v. uneven) took time to explain the ins and outs and all of the measures I would take to ensure a perfect finish.

Customers happy to book the job for three weeks time.

Two hours later- they called to say that "another tiler" had quoted less than half of what my rate was - by my reckoning, this guy is working for less than minimum wage - so frustrating - 'cos I know that they will get what they pay for...

Quoted another job today (en-suite) and the existing job is a joke (wish I had taken a picture) one wall corner went from 2mm to about 30mm at the top - with a thick bodge of grout filling in...oooh nasty

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Let him have it. Those jobs will come right back around way sooner than they should be coming around. It'll fail somewhere down the line if any single corner is cut.

Stick to your guns.

The only thing I can suggest for the future, is when you give a price, really give them lots of reasons as to why it's that price. i.e. Tanking will need to be usedto prevent water damage, cost of X, aqua boards need to be used to prevent water damage at a cost of X, primer needs to be used and not PVA, cost of X.

And so on. Even if you post quotes out I'd call the customer when you think they've received it and go over it with them.

And mention that you've recently had a job you quoted for and they didn't follow the advice, and now you're going back to fix it via an insurance claim. Though don't be too pushy.

You still won't win them all, but there's always room for improvement when it comes to quoting and how times change so quickly just recently.

Reply to Undercut ...aaaaargh! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views
G
Hi guys, sorry for long post, just after a bit of advice regarding my first proper complaint...
2 3
Replies
Views
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
M
Hi all Interested in views from the trade world about how I should deal with a big floor tiling...
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Undercut ...aaaaargh!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.