Guest viewing is limited

Discuss what's the future for tiling?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stewart

The future of tiling lies in the training or our apprentices. While I'm not a big fan of course tilers.... they exist because so called time served tradesmen refuse to take on an apprentice and train them up. For this reason, course tilers will greatly increase in numbers. A course tiler who applies themselves, can become as good a tiler, if not better, than a so called tradesmen.

The only problem i have with course tilers, is the literature they're given, once completing their course. The last one that came to me after a weeks training, was told he should expect to earn around 30,000 employed by me or 40-50,000 working for himself. They are misinformed about the realities of being a full time tiler in the real world!

S

SandyFloor

I've replaced floors done by time served tilers several times due to very fundamental preparation errors such as 6mm ply over floorboards although sometimes it's been a course tiler with little experience. I believe it's down to the individual doing the job and the willingness to learn. A few of the time served guys I have met have an arrogance about them in that they feel they've learnt all they need to know ( not many but some).

The big problem I find is when tiled floors fail it's to a degree ie grout cracking or just the odd tile lifting/cracking and it happens maybe a couple of years down the line so the customer doesn't go back to the the tiler hence the tiler is oblivious to the problem. The customer often seems to accept that tiled floors just do that or they hope it won't get worse because they don't want the hassle of getting it fixed.

M

mikethetile

I agree with stewart , theres a lot of misinformation about how much you can earn and I think this is why the courses are so popular

the reality is that you can earn that kind off money but you have to be very good and have built up a good reputation and client base. this all takes time and effort, it doesnt come with the completion certificate off the course

theres nothing wrong with learning the basice on an intensive course, but the skills and knowledge you need you will have to aquire yourself and they cant teach you in such a short time

the main skill needed in tiling is attention to detail and it doesnt matter where you learnt to tile, if you havent the eye for it you will fail as a tiler. so someone who understands that will succeed off an intensive course as they will apply that attention to their work

the future in tiling is that there will be more decoritive tiling. both contempary and geometric, bedroom and living room floors tiled, the wider the range of tiles available the more uses people will find for them, the bigger the demand for tiles the more tile patterns will be developed

and of course more higher skilled tilers will be required to fix these patterns

U

user123

I think there may well be self adhesive tiles before long... it wouldn't take that much, something along the lines of thick double sided adhesive tape that could be factory applied. Why? Because the health and safety brigade is getting more and more extreme, googles, masks, gloves... and the chemical industry is getting more and more advanced.... and ready spread on adhesive, bluetack or foam like that can be moved for a while after laying, yes I could see it happen.

You heard it here first.. :smilewinkgrin:

Reply to what's the future for tiling?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hi All Had a panic when we had to rip out some of our floor tiles after a plumbing leak...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
what's the future for tiling??
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks